Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Communicating between win98 pc and Linux rh 8.0

Thread: Communicating between win98 pc and Linux rh 8.0

24giovanni

Communicating between win98 pc and Linux rh 8.0

Please bare with me as I am a new user learning Linux. What I would like to do is setting up both machines so they can communicate with other. Can someone help me out on what I need to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re:Communicating between win98 pc and Linux rh 8.0

To get Windows to use Linux shares set up a samba server. I've never tried Linux looking at windows. I think Lisa or LinNeighborhood or something is used for that.
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

24giovanni

Frisky,

How do I set up a samba server?

24giovanni

Frisky,

What is the easiest way to set up samba? Is there a step by step way of setting up the latest version of samba for RH8? If so, where?

Sorry i took so long - ive been busy, then couldn't stay logged on for some reason??

anyway:

to start samba in RH8 by the terminal type:
    service smb start (can also use stop or restart)

to edit the settings edit the file /etc/samba/smb.conf
    in there there will be the workgroup and things like that to set up

for a windows machine to connect to the samba server you need to add the password and user name of the user that is logged onto windows

eg for eddy:
    (add the user)
    useradd eddy

(add the windows password for that user)
    smbpasswd -a eddy
    (you will be prompted to add the password)

note: if it is the first time you are using smbpasswd it wont work the first time because it has to create the database. Just follow the prompts and do it twice.
    When the user logs in by default they will end up in /home/user e.g /home/eddy

type :
    man samba
    read it, then visit the site, then read that

also do a search here (look up at the top of your browser find search - click that ) for samba and see the troubles/solutions others have had

You could also do a search on Google or look at the Red Hat Site - there are lots of instructions there, but im not sure about samba?
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

wow, very nice....
    also, you can do it the other way
    in windows:
    set up a share on a drive, directory etc.

in rh:
    load up 'neat' (network configuration) and add your windows box to the hosts tab
    make a mount point in /mnt
    mount -t smbfs //<hostname>/<share> /mnt/windows-network
    just hit enter for the password
    that will let you access the windows drive from linux
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Couldnt add this for a while coz of the probs lately but found some more stuff for you.

http://www.justlinux.com/nhf/Filesys...rom_Linux.html

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/doc...OWTO.html#toc8