Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Kernel
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kernel

mugs

Kernel

what do I need to do to update my kernel. I currently have 2.4.18. I downloaded 'patch2.4.20.gz' Will that do it? I am really not sure what I need to do. I am hoping an update to the kernel might help with my sound, etc issues. I would have thought I could get it from Suse, but I dont see where.

Thanks.

I also downloaded 'kernel-source-2.4.19.Suse-56.x86_64.rpm'

Re:Kernel

Sorry i am no expert at this, but i know that GLO has an OMP on kernels. Also, what documentation came with it. (In Redhat, all of that is taken care of with up2date)

mugs

Ok, thanks. I am now using Mandrake 9.0 and it has a little newer kernel.

are you still interested in updating that kernel? it isn't that hard if you'd still like to try

mugs

Yes, I am thanks. I run Mandrake 9.0 now. They are going to release 9.1 soon, but I would like to give it a try before then.

it is as easy as getting the kernel sources :-X and installing them. that will setup a directory named /usr/src/linux2.4.xx (i believe off the top of my head). o one thing i recommend that you get is the configuration from the old kernel in /usr/src/(old kernel number here). so long as you can find it, that is good enough. so, once in /usr/src/linux.2.4.XX and so on, execute these commands:

source /etc/profile
    make menuconfig

this will land you in the kernel configuration editor. in here you can change what in compiled into your kernel, what becomes a module, and what is left out. once here, i recommend you load your old preinstalled settings, unless there is something you'd like to change. i like playing around in here and seeing what i get when it is compiled, so take a peek around. anyways, if you're gonna play it safe, you will want to use the config you used for you old kernel that you looked up earlier. So, at the very bottom of menuconfig, there is an option to load alt config file. do that, and enter the location of it, in the old kernel dir. once you are done with that you can either poke around and look at your options for the kernel, or just save it and continue on. so once you continue on, enter the following command:

make dep && make clean && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install

this will compile the deps for your kernel, clean out old work, make the compressed kernel image, make the mods, and install them in the right places. this will take several minutes to complete.

when this finishes, it is as simple as editing your grub/lilo.conf, btw, which are you using, grub or lilo?

i can continue on when i know which you are using.

goodluck,

Babbing

btw- this is all i had to do to recompile my gentoo kernel, you may wish to poke around in the mandrake docs to see if anything needs to be done different. it's shouldn't matter though because the way we'll do things, if it doesn't work, we can always load up the old kernel. :P

mugs

Thank you so much Babbing for taking the time to write this out for me. I am using Lilo. I do have some other questions before I start. What kernel do you recommend and do I need one specific for Mandrake?

i will be back in a sec to finish this with lilo. About what kernel you should have, you can do whatever you want. you can go to kernel.org and pick up the vanilla sources, which is just a stock kernel. what is sitting in the back of my mind is that gentoo also has (maybe SuSE does too) specially tweaked kernels which may give you some extra performance. It is really up to you, but maybe you would want to check out the SuSE site and see if they have any goodies.

mugs

Ok, but I am running Mandrake now, not Suse. I will check into it, as I have heard that if you dont have a kernel specifically for Mandrake, it will brake a lot of stuff. But, you said I can always put it back...

A stock kernel shouldn't hurt anything. i hear the same things about RH. anyways, lets get onto safely installing the kernel and preserving the old one.

first, lets rename the old boot image:

mv /boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage.old

(it may be useful to you to exchange '.old' with the kernel version)

next we can copy over the new, compressed kernel image:

cp /usr/src/linux-2.4.XX/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot

yahoo! all we have to do it configure lilo to boot it

next find your lilo.conf in the /etc directory.

there will be sections in there that look like the following:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20 <-- interchangable with bzImage
    label=linux
    read-only
    root=/dev/hda5 <-- the dev node that / sits on

when you find the section that seems to be the one that you choose to boot _Mandrake_ , cp the section and paste it at the bottom. next, make the following adjustments to the newly pasted section, and the one you copied it from:

for the one that you copied from:

image=/boot/name of the old kernel image
    label=label for the old kernel

for the one you pasted:

image=/boot/name of the new kernel image
    label=label for the new kernel

you do not have to change the 'root' option since they share the same root.

all set and ready to go. As always when you edit something for a bootloader, remember to have bootdisks on hand just in case the $%&* hits the fan.

Babbing