Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Gimp rant

Thread: Gimp rant

Gimp rant

I love the Gimp. Let it be said, no other Linux graphic program even comes close to the capabilities of the Gimp. But I have some major gripes.

First off, the text tool needs a total overhaul. You can add text then reedit it, but all you can change is the font, color, hinting, and line height. The free type tool is cool,and you can do alot of great text transforms, but after you drop the text you can't edit it, and edit preferences are session based. So if you close the Gimp and go back into it then try to add more text like what you had before, you better take good notes on font, shear, kerning, etc. 'cause the Gimp isn't going to remember.

Then there is just web development in general. Yeah, I can create great looking sites in the Gimp, but then getting them to a useable format for the web is a serious pain. First you have to save the whole image out to a flat format, then use the select tool to copy and paste your graphics. This really isn't all that bad until you find you misspelled something in a graphic. First you have to wrestle with the Freetype plugin, if you used it, then you have to resave the image to a flat format, then re cut and paste.

Unfortunately, ImageReady is still quite a ways ahead of the Gimp, in almost every way. But Gimp 2.x is a good leap in the right direction.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Just to ease your mind jro gimp is being slpit up and redesigned
    i am thining that it may resimble inkscape i read an articale on it some wheres but i cant remmember where but ya they are redisigning it and i thnk assigning seperate parts to seperate development teams.
    Wenn Sie Spaß meines Englisch mich Willensfuckingtötung Sie bilden.

mepis has the gimp version 2.2, if you are interested in getting a decent distro
    My Website:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Website Uptime:

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

I am running the most recent version 2.2.4, so it really isn't a distro thing. More a annoyance with Gimp getting a little bloated. Kind of like Photoshop did before they split it up into Photoshop and Imageready. Hopefully this is the route the Gimp takes.

I like the photo and drawing capabilities of the Gimp but I need something that is gear more toward web work; image optimization and preview, slicing, easily selectable pallettes, etc.
    jro -

You can use inkscape and then use gimp to chop your images up and add extra effects.
    That is how i do it.
    Wenn Sie Spaß meines Englisch mich Willensfuckingtötung Sie bilden.

Thats just what I am getting at CT. There are all sorts of unnecessary steps todo what could be combined into one step.

One thing that has been recently added to the Gimp 2.2.x is the ability to add a layer that is merge of all visible layers. That way I can cut up my image with out having to first save it out to an intermediate flat image first. Thank you Gimp team! One good step in the right direction.
    jro -