Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Just Installed Linux

Thread: Just Installed Linux

OneManAlone

Just Installed Linux

Hi. I'm very new to Linux, can someone please tell me what is so different about Linux then windows? Someone was talking about how much freedom you have with Linux, what do they mean freedom? what can you do with linux that cant be done with windows, and why do people use linux over windows? Please tell me everything you all can about Linux and whats diffrerent and what you can do with it.

and another queston is, how do you change the resolution? and how do you log in as root?

Remember, right now I know nothing about Linux but would like to learn!

Thank you

Re:Just Installed Linux

Well when people talk about Linux freedom, more then likely they are speaking of the freedom to choose what you like to use. For example: You can have whatever browser you feel like, whatever window manager, etc... Also along this catagory, it's also free in the way that most of the software for it, such as your CD-Burning applications are free, FTP programs are free, etc...

The reason why people think it's better then windows will vary with each person. My personal opinion is that it doesn't crash, and I'm able to use alot more applications because they are freely avaliable.

In order to login as root, you will need to logout of your current user, then type root at the CLI (Command Line Interface) aka Console. Then you'll have to enter the root password. If you're using the graphical user interface login, I believe there's a selection for root, and a box for the password as well. You can also switch to root from your current user by issuing the command su into a terminal window (aka console) in X. This root is different however. You're root, but you typically inheriet the user's path. Plus you're only root in that terminal window.

About switching resolution's: Try Ctrl+Alt+NumPad + or Ctrl+Alt+NumPad -
    If no resolutions higher then what you are using are avaliable to you, then you'll need to edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config or /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 depending on your distrobution. There will be a section as follows:

#************************************************* *****************
    # Screen sections
    #************************************************* *****************

In this section you will see something like this:
    Subsection "Display"
    Depth 16
    Modes "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768"
    ViewPort 0 0

If you wanted for example a 1280x1024 resolution at 16 bit color depth then you'd want to add "1280x1024" behind the 1024 part.

You must be root to edit this file.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

OneManAlone

ahh thanks alot ;D

JimH

Hmm, I guess you could read some of the rants from RMS about Open Source...Although I don't agree with him that it so be referred to as GNU/Linux and not just "Linux".

http://www.gnu.org/gnu/thegnuproject.html
    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Sheeeez linux.org REALLY needs to update some of this stuff. 1998?
    SOme of this stuff just is not accurate any longer.

http://www.linux.org/info/advocacy.html