Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Can't Access Chat Room
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Access Chat Room

Clay

Can't Access Chat Room

I installed RedHat 8.0 on one PC and Lindows OS 2.1 on the other. I have the same problems with each.

After installation of the Linux packages, I installed, among other things, Java By Sun Microsystems, thinking that was what I needed to access a popular Chat Room for ATV enthusiasts (a Quick Chat service). Its link is:

http://www.atvtime.com/chatroom.htm

With Java, I got support for the following MIME types: application/x-java-applet, application/x-java-bean, and application/x-java-vm.

However, when I click on "connect," nothing happens. I suspect that I am missing something.

I also suspect that the problem is related to my inability to access Netscape Radio channels, which are java scripts. For example:

javascript:launchRadioNetscape('3620','MU-RADIO-3620')

When I click on such a link, a Plug-In box opens. It tells me that I should hear audio in a few moments, and if I don't then I need a Plug-In. I already have the Plug In, Real Audio 8, and it works fine with other links, such as:

http://www.beau-dacious.addr.com/cafe/time11.ram

which link does not require java.

Can anyone tell me what I need to use a Chat Room, or Netscape Radio?

Re:Can't Access Chat Room

Well I just tried your chat room, and all I have on my browser or system so to speak is Java installed. I'm using j2re1.4.1_01. I'm sure the lastest will support it as well. You must make sure you follow the installation instructions to a tee. Also the chat room might have been down the last time you tried it. Try again to test. I did hear that sound btw, and again all I have is Java installed.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

Clay

Thank you skynet,

I have an older version of java, which I downloaded yesterday through Netscape's Plugger page. I contacted Mozilla, and they suggested I download a java version of 1.4 +

I reviewed the download and installation instructions. They offer a self extracting file with instructions on how to open it and install the program.

I'll give it a try!

Clay

I can access the Chat Room, now. The problem was my Java. I was using an older version (1.3.1_02-b02). That surprised me, since I had downloaded it earlier this week from Netscape's Plug In Finder after I installed RedHat 8.0. However, when I contacted a tech at Mozilla about my problems with the Chat Room, he suggested I try a Java 1.4+ version.

For those of you newbies who haven't installed Java, it will take some effort. I will save you from having to duplicate my efforts.

First, go to Sun Microsystem's home page to download the latest version, which now is 1.4.1_01. Since I have an .rpm Manager, I downloaded the self-extracting .rmp file. from J2SE1.4.1 to my /TMP directory. I don't think it is important that you download it to your /TMP Directory. just install it in whichever directory you like to work with downloaded programs which you later install.

View the installation instructions. You might have to look for them. For my self-extracting .rpm file, they were located at the J2SE 1.4.1 Documenttation Page at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/index.html . Go to Installation Notes for Linux. I chose the instructions for the self-extracting .rpm file at http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/insta...ml#install-rpm . You must figure them out. They say to open a terminal and do the following:

From the Directory you're in (I downloaded my file to /TMP, so that is the Directory I went from. If you're in another Directory, type cd /TMP, or whatever Directory you downloaded your file)

chmod a+x j2sdk-1_4_1_<version number>-linux-i586-rpm.bin

./j2sdk-1_4_1_<version number>-linux-i586-rpm.bin

The instructions were in error, in that the downloaded file was not a j2sdk version. Be careful. If you have any questions about what to use, look at your file. In my case, my file was j2re-1_4_1_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin, so I typed:

chmod a+x j2re-1_4_1_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin
    j2re-1_4_1_01-linux-i586-rpm.bin

That worked!

It gives you an .rpm file in the same Directory as your self-extracting .bin file. I installed the .rpm file with the Terminal. The instructions erroneously tell you to type:

rpm -iv j2sdk-1_4_1_<version number>-linux-i586.rpm

However, the file is named j2re-1_4_1_01-fcs-linux-i586.rpm, so you must instead put in the terminal from the /TMP directory:

rpm -iv j2re-1_4_1_01-fcs-linux-i586.rpm

That will work and set up your jave files in a new directory at /usr/java .

WAIT! You still haven't finished! Now, you must install the Plug-In. This caused me some real problems. Go to the instructions for manual installation. If you got this far using the terminal, then stay the course. It won't be hard.

FIRST, if you already have a java plug-in, you must unregister it. Follow the instructions for that, then move on.

There are NO instructions for the current version of Mozilla 1.0.1 or Linux Netscape Navigator 7.0. However, they DO give instructions for Netscape 6. I asked the tech at Mozilla if I should use those, but he chose not to reply to the question. Finally after a couple of days of silence, I followed the general instructions for Netscape 6 with success.

In order to install the java plugin manually, change directories to your BROWSER directory:

cd /usr/lib/mozilla-1.0.1/plugins

Once you're in the new java directory, type from the terminal:

ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so .

Make SURE you type the period at the end of the second line after oji.so . That is important.

There! You're done. To be sure, click on your browsers Help button, then "About Plugins." You should have a whole section entitled:

Java(TM) Plug-in 1.4.1_01-b01

JimH

Hmm, for some reason I think I recall posting these same instructions on the board once before.

Clay

Jim, if you did, the WHY didn't you refer me to them when I first posted this topic? I spent a LOT of time solving this problem with VERY little help. That's why I posted my question/problem here on THIS forum. Now, you say you posted the answer some time in the PAST? I searched the RedHat forum and software forum on this Board back 6 months without seeing any answer to this.

So, are you saying I copied what YOU posted? That's a JOKE.

Let's see what you posted. Give us ALL a link to it.

So far, Allistair has been the only person to provide me with any help here.

You need to calm down. JimH helps alot more people around here then I do, and or allistair. More then likely he did post something about this. I don't doubt his word. If you continue to bite the hand that feeds, the hand's going to stop feeding, and you'll be looking elsewhere.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

Clay

Skynet,

I didn't BITE anyone. I didn't disparage anyone. I'm sure that JimH meant nothing by his comment.

In my last message, I DID express confusion as to why JimH, if he ever posted the solution elsewhere, didn't offer it when this topic was first posted. If he knew the answer, then why not share it BEFORE a Linux "newbie" spent a lot of time finding an answer (2 days) ? I had to visit other forums, read FAQs, make "bug" reports, and exchange emails with a tech to get on track. Now, I discover that JimH had the answer all along! I guess the joke is on me.

Apparently, I wasted a lot of effort posting my solution. It took awhile to include terminal commands, links to appropriate instructions and downloads, as well as cautions about erroneous instruction. I made that effort, so that another "newbie" could avoid the same pitfalls I had to navigate.

Issues such as those which I brought up are common to many people attempting a transition from Windows to a Linux package. Why shouldn't a "newbie" be able to access a chat room or listen to streaming audio on Linux? Newbies need help, or they wouldn't post here.

I thank Alastair for helping me with questions involving my xmms player. What he said taught me about configuring plug-ins, something necessary with Linux. However, even that issue needed help outside of the forum for resolution. I had to learn about RedHat's XMMS player, its shortcomings, and then download a patch to fix it. Ironically, the patch was for .mp3 files, but it fixed the .wav problem, too.

So long.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay
    Skynet,

I didn't BITE anyone. I didn't disparage anyone. I'm sure that JimH meant nothing by his comment.

In my last message, I DID express confusion as to why JimH, if he ever posted the solution elsewhere, didn't offer it when this topic was first posted.
    You actually _didn't_ ask for java installation instructions on your first post.

If he knew the answer, then why not share it BEFORE a Linux "newbie" spent a lot of time finding an answer (2 days) ? I had to visit other forums, read FAQs, make "bug" reports, and exchange emails with a tech to get on track. Now, I discover that JimH had the answer all along! I guess the joke is on me.
    he's only human (although some might dispute it. ), you can't expect him to rememebr all his 2000+ posts
    anyway, finding out answers on your own is good for you.

the post that JimH was refering to is here:
    http://www.getlinuxonline.com/yabbse...id=137;start=0

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by Clay
    Jim, if you did, the WHY didn't you refer me to them when I first posted this topic? I spent a LOT of time solving this problem with VERY little help.
    If you will note you posted this question on the Dec 14. If you will also notice I did not respond to any questions posted between Dec 13-15 until Dec 16th. Gee, I wonder why. Maybe because I was out of town or just too busy with other things to visit the board. :P

I read your question when when I got back. SkyNet had already responded with the correct answer. Since you had not posted that you were still having problems, I had nothing to add to SkyNet's response. If you were still having problems you should have made another post.

I spend a lot of time here answering questions. I will usually respond to just about every question posted. However, I cannot be here everyday 24 hours a day. There are times that several days or longer will go by without me being on the board. This is unavoidable. Hopefully everyone can understand that and be patient if I don't answer right away. There will be times when I or no one else on the board will know the answer to a question. Unfortunately, we are not perfect. We provide whatever help we can. Hopefully that help is appreciated.