Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Access Linux from Windoze

Re:Access Linux from Windoze

With win 98 i think there is a networking password?? I havent tried but maybe make that the user on the Suse box with the same password as the smbpasswd ??

Something else to try?
    in your browser url space type the path to the linux share and see if you can access it through that way??

you also might want to read this
    http://www.getlinuxonline.com/yabbse...id=849;start=0

Passwords passwords lol.
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

mugs

I have been working on this on and off for the last 3 hours and I am getting more confused. I guess I should take a break. I must be missing some important concept here. In LinNeighborhood on my Suse box I can see the Win XP computer and the Win98 and access the shares. I can also see the Linux box, but something isnt correct as it is not showing me the IP.

My workgroup is home and I have Linux, Lappy, and Goldie as computers. In LinNeighborhood it shows "linux" at the top with "home" underneath and then the other 3 computers.

my user for Linux, when I log in is mugs. I tried to set the samba password the same, but it doesnt work from Windows.

Ok, I better go clear my head.

Quote Originally Posted by mugs
    I tried useradd and it just adds users to my Linux box.
    Yes thats right.
    you have to add a user to the linux box with the _same name_ as what you log onto with windows
    then
    do a 'smbpasswd -a <new user>
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

mugs

I made sure your last suggestion was done correctly, and set the passwords the same on both and I still cant connect. Now the message says I have multiple connections????

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by friskydrifter
    what does 'service smb status' show?

service smb start/restart/stop/status
    The "service" command is Red Hat specific. mugs is still using SUSE.

The "service" command is Red Hat specific. mugs is still using SUSE.
    Ahhhh - that would make things confusing lol

Also Mugs:
    I was playing with my samba server and XP since you are havin trouble and theres a few weird things i experienced that i will point out. Im not sure why this is so or even if it happens everytime but here goes.

I logged in to the server by default (my username and password on XP is the same in the samba server). And i was looking at "my network places", when i tried to look at "Work group computers" i didn't have access?? what i found is that if i deleted every entry in "my network places" then i could go in and see my XP machine and the Samba server in "Work group computers" ?? weird huh!

Anyway i deleted the user from the samba server and created another one (different from my XP user), then went into "Workgroup Computers" Saw the samba server and tried to access it. I got the Login prompt and found that if i entered the username and pressed "ok or enter" it put the extra name in front of it, but if i just enterd the name and then clicked in the password box and entered the password, then pressed "ok or enter" i could log in.

as for starting samba with suse ?????????
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

mugs

It actually worked for a bit, now it isnt again. I went into My Computer on XP and my Linux box was listed under network drives. I put in the username and password and I connected!!! It did not put the laptop name in front of username like in workgroup computers. So, I then disconnected as I wanted to try it again and the Linux entry in My computer under network drives is now GONE!!! I can no longer connect as it wont let me through workgroup computers. So, I guess the key is to go through My Computer, but how do I get the entry back in there under Network drives...as I dont know how or when that got there in the first place. Thanks.

mugs

Ok, I got it working again, by mapping a network drive. Whoo hoo!

But, why cant I get in by using workgroup computers?

Thanks for everyone's help.

Something else to try, A message to me from a friend dealing with Samba.

btw i set the security on the share to "share" not user so i don't have to worry about pwds