Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Blackbox can't connect to X server

Thread: Blackbox can't connect to X server

teknik0s

Blackbox can't connect to X server

I got X working on my laptop finally. Well i think i did.. im using the example file that X -configure makes. X looks alot better when i use this one compared to the one i edit by hand. Anways i downloaded BlackBox and installed it and what not, but when i try to run /usr/local/bin/blackbox it tells me..

BaseDisplay::BaseDisplay: connection to X server failed.

I have basically ZERO knowledge with x. I used KDE for about 1 week when i first started playing with redhat about 9 months ago. After that ive been strictly command line. Any help on this would be appreciated

http://www.teknik0s.net/~teknik0s/xfree01.jpg <- what X looked like with my Manual Config File...

teknik0s

Re:Blackbox can't connect to X server

ok i figured out what was wrong here, i had to edit the .xinitrc file and all a link to blackbox. so blackbox starts, but its really messed up looking. what did i do wrong !_!

teknik0s

sorry i'm like talking to myself, but im learning as i go. it seems that it is a problem with X.. duh. Not blackbox. I edited the XF86Config file and edited under the

section "device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver "vga"
    VendorName "Neomagic"
    BoardName "NM2070"
    BusID "PCI:0:7:0"
    EndSection

i changed Driver from the default that it was "neomagic" (which i believe is the videocard in this laptop) to "vesa". Now it looks something like this.

by the way, this is a dell latitude XPi P133ST

teknik0s

nevermind! i got it working, just took me editing the XF86Config file about 130012 times

Quote Originally Posted by teknik0s
    just took me editing the XF86Config file about 130012 times
    you were counting?
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by teknik0s
    nevermind! i got it working, just took me editing the XF86Config file about 130012 times
    But just think of all the knowledge you gained. ;D

teknik0s

Well i lost count somewhere around a million. Now that i actually have a working X, its time to move on to other things, such as finding the CORRECT driver. I am currently using the generic one, because the NeoMagic 2070 driver isnt listed in the list when u exec xf86config. So, i am assuming this is why my screen is all messed up looking... read my other post for for info i guess.

a picture of what it looks like with the OTHER neomagic driver, close.. but no cigar. when i google the latitude XPi P133ST it says that my Neomagic card IS supported by XFree86 though it didnt used to be. Im pretty sure i am running XFree86 4.2 or something, and im not seeing this support. Do i have to manually add this? if so, how?

http://www.teknik0s.net/~teknik0s/f.jpg

JimH

It shows to be supported by the "neomagic" driver. Setting your XF86Config to use it does not work?

teknik0s

it's # 323 in the xf86config - neomagic laptop/notebook (magicgraph series) now i dont know if my card is in the "magicgraph series" or not, ill look into that. but as far as i know its not? i mean X works with that, but not as good as VESA or VGA Generic.. whatever i have it on. Perhaps i should change my Vertical and Horz Refresh? would it matter, or could i use the same vertfresh and hort refresh for a different device driver?

-- Well i just found according to this http://www.metrolink.com/tech_suppor.../chiplist.html (i use the nm 2070 chipset) that my card SHOULD be supported by the xf86config neomagic drivers... but i wonder why the display is all messed up with those drivers and not the generic ?