Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Linux sucks so far

Thread: Linux sucks so far

ChalkyTopGun

Linux sucks so far

Okay - now I am expecting LOADS LOL of flame mail coming my way here however I want to express my gripes and of course you Linux geeks can show me the way if you want:

1. They want to see Linux come into the main desktop arena with these distros ? OMG - the trauma in merely installing a programme like the MSN messenger clone for linux. It is such a drama.

2. The whole mount/unmount thing is fine for HDD partitions but when I want to run MP3s through XMMS it may or not play them or just refuse to replay them when I have already listened to a whole bunch of them, it just whizzes through the list at the speed of lightening - just WHAT is that about ?

3. I really would of thought that it would of loaded up super super fast. Booting, I mean. I have heard so much of "runs on low spec machine etc..". MY Windows XP runs on turbo.

4. Driver installation, software installation, the help system (Windows help on the start menu and its contents are excellent), device manager configuration, program naming, the control centre/mandrake control centre all have immense end-user limited use and most of all having to use the command line merely to install software or invoke mounting is completely user UN-friendly.

5. Setting screen refresh rates !!!!! OMG - who forgot to incorporate this into the operating system ??? He needs sacking NOW!. I get 75 hz on my 19' Sony display when I need 85! On a Gefore 4Ti as well ? Come on people.

Now before you think, here we have a newbie who doesn't know much let me just clear something. I have come up from the DOS, Windows Ver 1.0 world to XP Pro and Active Directory networks. I am a Windows 2000 MCSE and I have 15 years of computer experience building and repairing PCs and building networks and for me to say this operating sucks at worst I think is something. If mandrake, red hat want to bring Linux in the desktop world it has to think again.

Also note - I have not tried this in a networking environment, God give me strength if it ever Comes round to that !

Anybody else have thoughts on what I have just said.

Grant

MCSA, MCSE

Re:Linux sucks so far

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyTopGun

Okay - now I am expecting LOADS LOL of flame mail coming my way here however I want to express my gripes and of course you Linux geeks can show me the way if you want:

1. They want to see Linux come into the main desktop arena with these distros ? OMG - the trauma in merely installing a programme like the MSN messenger clone for linux. It is such a drama.
    I thought you were moving to linux? why do you still need ms products?
    but anyways... ive used ~4 clones, all real simple
    http://msn.compucreations.com
    http://amsn.sf.net
    http://gaim.sf.net -- does all protocols
    any jabber client - http://jabber.org

2. The whole mount/unmount thing is fine for HDD partitions but when I want to run MP3s through XMMS it may or not play them or just refuse to replay them when I have already listened to a whole bunch of them, it just whizzes through the list at the speed of lightening - just WHAT is that about ?
    If xmms can't physically find the file on a playlist it skips it. don't expect it to still be able to play it if the partition its on is unmounted.
    im not sure about the other problems... maybe its mounting things too

3. I really would of thought that it would of loaded up super super fast. Booting, I mean. I have heard so much of "runs on low spec machine etc..". MY Windows XP runs on turbo.
    as with windows, the default kernel that comes with linux is generic. its built to run on almost any pc its to be installed on.
    you want speed? compile your own.
    i got a bot up difference from ~3 mins to less than 50 secs

4. Driver installation, software installation, the help system (Windows help on the start menu and its contents are excellent), device manager configuration, program naming, the control centre/mandrake control centre all have immense end-user limited use and most of all having to use the command line merely to install software or invoke mounting is completely user UN-friendly.
    linux's main goal isn't to be user friendly, it world domination muahahahah
    anyway....
    the power of linux _is_ the command line.
    i use it to install all my software, its very quick once you know how to use it, probally quicker than any gui utility
    on the topic of mounting: most file browsers have a good mounting system anyway. im assuming you are using mandrake due to the forum... mandrake even uses supermount - go into the /mnt dir and it will mount the drive

5. Setting screen refresh rates !!!!! OMG - who forgot to incorporate this into the operating system ??? He needs sacking NOW!. I get 75 hz on my 19' Sony display when I need 85! On a Gefore 4Ti as well ? Come on people.
    if you are talking about refresh rates in X, no one forgot to incorporate it into the OS, it doesn't have it. thats why we have X
    and how can someone whos working on something for nothing, just because they love what they're doing be sacked?
    take a look in the mandrake center thing under monitors, i think theres something there.. i haven't used it in a while so i might be wrong.

Now before you think, here we have a newbie who doesn't know much let me just clear something. I have come up from the DOS, Windows Ver 1.0 world to XP Pro and Active Directory networks. I am a Windows 2000 MCSE and I have 15 years of computer experience building and repairing PCs and building networks and for me to say this operating sucks at worst I think is something.
    hmm, maybe if it put this in another perspective...
    "I drive a porsche. I got in an aeroplane yesterday and tried to fly it. i crashed. planes suck because i can't fly them but i can drive a car."
    To me that seems like what you're saying. You can't expect windows and unix to be similar. they are completly different. Did the windows 95 ui suck because it wasn't progman? no, it was just different. does Xp's ui suck because its all bubbly? no, its just different..(well.. maybe it does suck... :P )
    Aparently you haven't has 15 years unix experience...

If mandrake, red hat want to bring Linux in the desktop world it has to think again.
    I think they have thought alot about this, and its just what they are driving at. They are as easy to install as windows, maybe easier. they include a plethora of apps for everyday desktop use. they are easy to use, with gui tools for the inexperienced and command line utils for the pros.

Also note - I have not tried this in a networking environment, God give me strength if it ever Comes round to that !
    neither have i. I have full faith that when i findo out how to do it, it will work fine.

Take with 2 cups of coffee and see me in the morning

Grant

MCSA, MCSE
    you think they will help you in here?
    muahahahahahaha :P :P :P :P
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

That is *nix real strenght. Not Gui's
    Look at the servers on the Web. Even hotmail used to run qmail :P

MCSA, MCSE
    Bet that cost a lot of money hahaha :P
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

Alan M Ralsky

I haven't posted here before, but since you're trolling, I'll give it a try.

Honestly, you're likely to get no mail at all, since this isn't a mailing list, it's a web based discussion board.

Really. You thrive on drama, at least it would seem so from your post, so this should be rght up your alley. Since you've provided no information about what distrobution or packaging system you're using, how would you expect someone to be able to help you? Some will certainly try, but by not providing anything to go on, you're sinking your own boat. Oh, so later on in this you mention Mandrake, but, alas, with no version information.

What does mouting/unmounting filesystems have to do with MP3s and XMMS - seriously?

3. I really would of thought that it would of loaded up super super fast. Booting, I mean.
    It'll boot as fast as you tailor it to. If you want it to boot faster, you can shut down unused services, compile the linux kernel tightly, and have it booting in no time. I can boot a modern 2.4.19 kernel, nicely compiled, in under 30 seconds - including loading kernel modules and starting services. However, I've been using linux for a while now and I'm getting more and more familiar with how it works. I'm sure when you were born, you knew how to do all that when you first started out on Windows too. It takes time to learn these things friend.

I have heard so much of "runs on low spec machine etc..". MY Windows XP runs on turbo.
    That turbo switch was always for poor cpu/memory handling operating systems now wasn't it
    Can you install Windows XP on a 386? a 486? A Pentium Classic? I thought not.

4. Driver installation, software installation,
    Yes, sometimes all drivers, actually 'modules' under linux, aren't included with a system, so sometimes a manual installation is necessary. And yes, even Windows XP requires other software to be installed so you can do something other than just play card games and write in notepad.

the help system (Windows help on the start menu and its contents are excellent),
    I have to whole-heartedly disagree with you there. Using Windows XP, unless you agree to an End User License Agreement that gives full administrative control (known as 'root' in linux) of YOUR COMPUTER to Microsoft, so you can install Windows XP Service Pack 1, that same "Help Center" can be used to delete every file on your machine. I really can't say that is "excellent" by any means.

device manager configuration, program naming, the control centre/mandrake control centre all have immense end-user limited use
    This is because those tools are not for the "end user". They are for the "administrator" (aka root user) of the system/network. A normal user of a networking operating system has no need for those things. Program naming? You're just nit picking.

and most of all having to use the command line merely to install software or invoke mounting is completely user UN-friendly.
    You're using Mandrake, there's no need to touch the command line when installing software. The root user can use the GUI (Graphical User Interface) tool called the Software Manager. Optionally when using KDE's File Manager aka Konqueror (Mandrake's default), the root user can also open the package itself and run the Software Manager. Mounting can be done by any user, provided that root allows them to. When using the KDE Desktop, it's as simple as right-clicking the drive/partition's icon on the desktop and choosing "mount" or "unmount".

Actually, there's no one to sack. The XFree86 devlopment team is made up of volunteers who do it because they love it. Also, it's not part of the operating system. Linux, by itself, has no GUI. Don't know how to set the refresh rates? Get the proper settings from your manuafacturer and have root modify the configuration.

Now before you think, here we have a newbie who doesn't know much let me just clear something. I have come up from the DOS, Windows Ver 1.0 world to XP Pro and Active Directory networks.
    Honestly, so what? That has nothing to do with linux at all, and you're not dealing with DOS, Windows Ver whatever, XP Pro, or Active Directory now - you're dealing with linux. You really need to understand that you're in a completely different world now, so yes indeed - you ARE a newbie who doesn't know much - all over again.

I am a Windows 2000 MCSE and I have 15 years of computer experience building and repairing PCs and building networks and for me to say this operating sucks at worst I think is something.
    I won't go into what I think of MCSE certification because that's my personal opinion and I won't subject you to that(you're a newbie and all ). I'll do my best to stick to the facts. I will say this however - You've obviously been building and repairing WINDOWS PCs and WINDOWS networks. As I stated before - you're in a completely different world now. You can say, think, and feel whatever you'd like about it - no one's forcing you to use linux. You didn't buy a machine form an OEM dealer that was forced to put linux on it, and you weren't forced to sign over administrator status to the company that gave the operating system to you for free. You can do with it and think of it as you wish.

If mandrake, red hat want to bring Linux in the desktop world it has to think again.
    Honestly, very few aside from some really terrible ZDNet/CNET/Register "reporters" and a few zealous linux proponents are trying to "bring" it anywhere. All you're being given is a choice - it's all up to you. The real ones "bringing" it places are the users who are taking full advantage of what's being GIVEN to them.

That's a shame, since linux was designed for networking from the ground up. Sure can't say that about Windows.

Grant

MCSA, MCSE
    Really, no one cares what certifications you have - especially since you're just trolling.

woah there.....
    While we have no real problem with sensless ms bashing, i know Aragorn (webmaster) is against trolling full stop.

ChalkyTopGun:
    you are entitled to your own opinion of linux, and thats fine by me. ive made comments on your post but tried to be non offensive.
    Alan M Ralsky:
    im not sure why you are trying to impersonate a spammer, but ohwell.....
    lets maybe try to keep the troll level down now, huh?

Im moving this thread to the rants and flames board, as i think it is more appropiate there

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

JimH

Well when you flame everyone here you should expect the same in return....

We pride ourselves around here to offer advice to newbies without flaming them, but we expect the same treatment in return. Something doesn't "suck" just because you don't know to use it.

If you ask a question without flaming, you will get help.

This thread needs to end, so I am locking it.