Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Sluggish Mouse
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sluggish Mouse

elijah08

Sluggish Mouse

My mouse is really sluggish in RedHat 8. How can I configure it to work correctly? Maybe a driver I can download? It's a generic (no-name) optical mouse.

Also...you've probably all heard this one before...but is there any way possible to get a Lucent WinModem working under RedHat 8?

Thanks a bunch!

Re:Sluggish Mouse

im not sure about optical mouse in linux, but for the modem try linmodems.org
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

JimH

Look in /etc/X11/XF86Config for the section for your mouse. See if it is using "Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2". If it isn't then change it, restart X and see if that helps.

The mouse section will look similar to this.

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse0"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    EndSection

The modem might work, as alastair mentioned you need to find out exactly what chipset it uses and look on linmodems.org to see if it may be supported.

elijah08

i looked on linmodems.org but i can't find anything. my chipset is Intel 810E.

Did the mouse get fixed?

elijah08

i haven't tried it yet, babbing. i'll try it when i get home from work tonight.

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by elijah08
    i looked on linmodems.org but i can't find anything. my chipset is Intel 810E.
    Post the output of /sbin/lspci -v

One or more of the entries will be about your modem. Do you know if your modem is in an AMR slot?

elijah08

I changed that info for my mouse and now my mouse won't work. Can I edit /etc/X11/XF86Config from the command prompt so I can change it back?

I found a driver through linmodems.org for my modem but I need to get my mouse fixed before I can try that driver!

*Remember: I'm a newbie!!

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll let you know if the modem driver works.

JimH

Oops. Thats unusual for a newer mouse not to be M$ compatible. Especially an optical mouse. You did only change the line, Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"?

# At the Grub boot loader screen, select a boot label and press "e" to edit it.
    # Use the arrow keys to select the line that starts with the word "kernel". Press "e" to edit it.
    # At the prompt, add the number 3 to the end of the line and press "enter".
    # Press the "b" key to boot the system into runlevel 3.

Runlevel 3 boots to a text prompt. Login as root and either edit XF86Config or just run mouseconfig. Then just switch to your regular user and type: startx

elijah08

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    Oops. Thats unusual for a newer mouse not to be M$ compatible. Especially an optical mouse. You did only change the line, Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"?

# At the Grub boot loader screen, select a boot label and press "e" to edit it.
    # Use the arrow keys to select the line that starts with the word "kernel". Press "e" to edit it.
    # At the prompt, add the number 3 to the end of the line and press "enter".
    # Press the "b" key to boot the system into runlevel 3.

Runlevel 3 boots to a text prompt. Login as root and either edit XF86Config or just run mouseconfig. Then just switch to your regular user and type: startx
    OK. I got my mouse working again. But I am a little confused about the modem driver that I downloaded. If anyone could help me get it installed, I would appreciate it greatly. If you email me (unclefluffy@shockwaveyouth.org), I will send you the .tar.gz file and maybe you can explain to me how I install the files. Thanx.