Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What I don't like about Linux

Re:What I don't like about Linux

matter of fact, If you use KDE, i know that you can choose to have KDE look like windows, which may help. o yeah, way to start 'em young with linux,

Clay

I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes.

First, I aopologize for using a wrong gender pronoun, which I apparently did. Alastaire sounds so much to me like my daughter's name that I assumed wrong.

Thanks for not bopping me Alastair, but thanks more for your help.

The purpose for my topic was NOT to bash Linux. It was to state the things which newbies don't like.

Yes, newbies DO want to be able to switch to Linux without venturing too far into the unknown.

No, Windows 9* does not automatically install printers, but it does provide an easy-to-use installation box during installation.

As for the sound card, I'm not sure how much of it is linux incompatibility. I'm upgrading that PC this week, so that might solve it. BUT - remember I'm a newbie, and the sound card worked with ... I'll say the dirty word ... WINDOWS! People who want to switch are afraid that their hardware might not work with Linux. I know there are hardware compatibility lists, but what do you do if it isn't listed? Or - will you trust a listing which shows it is compatible? How compatible will it be? To someone who is thinking about switching that might be a big factor.

It speaks well for Linux that the bulk of my complaints were trivial in nature. In fact, I only had problems with the RedHat package, and part of that may be hardware issues? I don't know, yet.

But shouldn't we discuss what newbies DON'T like, so that we can attract more of them?

Thanks,

Clay D

mugs

Yes, I know there is an XP theme for KDE, but who wants to see XP/Windows more than I have to!? ;D

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by mugs
    Yes, I know there is an XP theme for KDE, but who wants to see XP/Windows more than I have to!? ;D
    eeeeeeeeeck! Make Linux look like windoze?

Clay

I got my RedHat 8.0 Linux package working. It took me awhile to figure out how to configure plug-ins and to fix RedHat's XMMS package, but if I can do it, why not other novices?

My CD Player works fine, and looks GOOD.

My XMMS plug in works fine and looks GOOD, too!

My RealAudio works good!

I didn't like having to solve those problems, but there is some satisfaction from doing it. Now, I have a NICE Linux package where once only Windows 98 existed.