Thread: What I don't like about Linux

mugs

Re:What I don't like about Linux

hey now!

Quote Originally Posted by friskydrifter
    Alastair said that worked for her
    mahahahahaha
    ill leave this post here because its funny but i have changed the original post, hope no one minds
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Clay

Let's give the devil his due.

Why do people stick to Windows? What is it that they don't like, or are afraid of? After all, Windows is known for buggy software and PC freezes, isn't it?

Well, Windows doesn't require users to use a terminal to install programs. It comes with a java code; you don't have to locate one and install it. It comes with a working media player. The OS looks and feels nice when it is fresh. It sounds nice!

Maybe, newbie-wannabes are afraid that they will run into issues as I have.

Once I installed RedHat Linux:

(1) my sound card was mute. I had to install "sndconfig" and then run it after configuring that program to run in a terminal! Then I had to tinker a little just to get sound.

(2) I had to update my OS, which took quite a while. Guess it was good that an update was available, though.

(3) I had to find out how to add my printer and then configure it. With Windows, that is done with almost no effort during an install.

(4) I had to download and install "real audio player 8.0." the install was easy, because I have downloaded an .rpm file and installed it with a right click with the RPM manager.

(5) I had to install java. Windows comes with java, even though it is THEIR java.

(6) I had to download files for the XMMS player which had been deleted by RedHat, probably because of a tift with rival Lindows founder, Michael Robertson, who was the found of the .mp3 company.

(7) I had to learn how to configure the browser to play real audio files, and also .wav files. At least the XMMS works on my Lindows PC.

(8) My CD Player doesn't work on the RedHat PC, either. Hmmmmm. It works FINE on the Lindows system!

You have to admit, all of that is a bit overwhelming. How many people are going to switch from something they know and can use to an unknown system which they will have to struggle with?

One good thing about Linux is you have Alastair there to help you. He helped me play streaming Real Audio files and .wav files (on my Lindows PC). And he didn't make me feel stupid about it either.

Thanks Alastair!

Well, that's my two bits.

Clay D

Quote Originally Posted by Clay
    (1) my sound card was mute. I had to install "sndconfig" and then run it after configuring that program to run in a terminal! Then I had to tinker a little just to get sound.
    soundcards are weird, i still have probs with mine....

(2) I had to update my OS, which took quite a while. Guess it was good that an update was available, though.
    updates are all good

(3) I had to download and install "real audio player 8.0." the install was easy, because I have downloaded an .rpm file and installed it with a right click with the RPM manager.

(4) I had to install java.
    Licencing problems....

(5) I had to download files for the XMMS player which had been deleted by RedHat, probably because of a tift with rival Lindows founder, Michael Robertson, who was the found of the .mp3 company.
    again, licencing probs, this time it was a mistake

(7) My CD Player doesn't work on the RedHat PC, either. Hmmmmm. It works FINE on the Lindows system!
    tried the cdplayer level on your mixer? it might be on mute

One good thing about Linux is you have Alastair there to help you. He helped me play streaming Real Audio files and .wav files (on my Lindows PC). And he didn't make me feel stupid about it either.

Thanks Alastair!
    YAY

One good thing about Linux is you have Alastair there to help you. She helped me play streaming Real Audio files and .wav files (on my Lindows PC). And she didn't make me feel stupid about it either.
    Whats with the she thing?? mahahahaha (again)
    Alastair will prolly kik ure butt soon LOL
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

yeah, what is with it?
    ive already changed it twice... ??? ??? ??? : : : : :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by Clay
    ISA sound card? A lot of them cannot be detected automatically. That is why you need to run sndconfig

Would you prefer it if Red Hat just never offered updates to their software. :P

(3) I had to find out how to add my printer and then configure it. With Windows, that is done with almost no effort during an install.
    When did windows start automatically installing printer drivers during the install? No version I have ever seen.

(4) I had to download and install "real audio player 8.0."
    I wasn't aware windows shipped with Real Player on the CD? You have to download and install it yourself.

(5) I had to install java. Windows comes with java, even though it is THEIR java.
    You mean an M$ hacked up version of Java. If you want REAL Java on windows you have to download and install it yourself

(6) I had to download files for the XMMS player which had been deleted by RedHat,
    The reason for this is explained in the release notes. Did you read them?

(7) At least the XMMS works on my Lindows PC.
    Works on my Red Hat box too.

(8) My CD Player doesn't work on the RedHat PC, either.
    Works for me.

How many people are going to switch from something they know and can use to an unknown system which they will have to struggle with?
    This makes no sense. When you know nothing about something you are trying to use, how can you expect it to be easy?

If a person had only used Linux all their lives and sat down in front of a windows or Mac box would you automatically expect them to know how to do everything?

Sigh...Jim H goes to take a cold shower outside during a blizzard to cool off

mugs

I would like to comment on all this. I am currently having a good natured "argument" with my wife about Linux vs Windows. She doesnt want to use Linux, says she doesnt like how it looks, doesnt know how to do anything. I used the same argument with her: I "gave" her windows originally in '94 and that is what she has used ever since, even though it has gone from 3.1 to 95, 98, ME and now XP. My 4 year old told her he wanted to play tux racer and she had no idea how to find it, but he did!

The point is, it is what you are used to and she and most people are used to windows. Sure, Linux can be a little harder on some things, and I still have lots of problems (evidenced by all of my stupid questions on GLO), but after time you will get it and understand it more and enjoy it a lot more than windows.

As for the printer comment, I had a very hard time getting my printer installed when I switched from Windows ME to Windows XP. HOWEVER, in Suse, it was no problem at all.

I really enjoy Linux and I enjoy GLO just as much.

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by mugs
    She doesnt want to use Linux, says she doesnt like how it looks
    Doesn't like how it looks? ???
    Find a theme that she does like. Linux is definitely not lacking in the ability to change its appearance. :P

My 4 year old told her he wanted to play tux racer and she had no idea how to find it, but he did!
    ;D ;D ;D

mugs

I agree, I am using Keramik and love the way it looks. It is just that she is used to Windows, like most of the world. Linux works so much better than XP. The average user, though, is going to stick with what they are used to. That is why Microsoft continues to sell their crap.

All of my kids love Linux!