Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My $199 Lindows PC and RedHat 8.0

Hybrid View

Clay

My $199 Lindows PC and RedHat 8.0

I just bought a Lindows PC from Walmart for $199.00. It has 128 megs of RAM, an 800 mhz cpu, and a 10 Gig hard drive. It also came with Lindows already installed. I hooked the PC up, plugged it in, and I was on the internet. the whole process took maybe 5 minutes.

I have run Linux 7.2 and recently installed Linux 8.0 -

SO, here is my comparison as a Linux newbie, who escaped from Bill Gates and Microsoft.

I like Lindows. I doubt I will use Microsoft programs on it, even though it runs WINE (Windows emulator). I mean, why run buggy Windows stuff? Isn't that why we left Microsoft for Linux? If you want applications, they are available online, and most of them are FREE!!!

One thing I like about Lindows is its "Click N Run" feature. As a newbie, I struggled on Linux Redhat 7.2 whenever I had to install something. I still hate tar packages and the like. Well, "Click N Run" does away with that. For $99.00, a Lindowes user can use Click N Run to download and install any of nearly 2000 Lindows programs, including Star Office Suite - for no other charge. "Click N Run" will install the program for you. You won;t ever have to untar, gunzip, or rpm anything again. You won;t have to read instructions. You just click on the program you want, and your PC downloads and install it. You Click and then Run, really!

What I like about RedHat Linux 8.0 is that it comes with about any program you want, so you don't really need a Click N Run. Thus it is less expensive over all. I bought my version for less than $5.00, and it came with OpenOffice, GnuCash, and tons of other great applications. It took about 40 minutes to install on my old PC, running a 233 mhz cpu with 98 megs of RAM. That's about the same as a Windows 98 installation.

I like RedHat's RPM manager. If you don't have it, get it. It is almost as nice as Click N Run. You right click an ".rpm" package and then click on "install package." The Program manager does the rest! Wow.

Things to look out for when you install RedHat 8.0. First, don't do a "default" package install. Do a custom install. Choose the applications and programs you want. I did a default install, and it left out GnuCash and worse yet, the sound card configuration program. My PC was mute until I figured that one out. You will need to install a java plug-in, or you won't be able to use most Chat Rooms. It took a couple of minutes to find one at Netscape. It was by Sun Microsystems. I clicked on download and the thing installed from there. It took a couple of minutes, maybe.

Another plug-in you will need is Real Audio. That was another easy install, both on Lindows and RedHat. You can use Click N Run without being a subscriber for that program and a handful of others. I clicked on Real Audio, and the program did the rest. It was even configured to work as a plug-in. With RedHat, it was almost as easy. I downloadeda ..rpm package, right clicked it, and the thing installed by itself. I did have to configure it to act as a plug-in, but that didn't take but a minute or so.

Both Linux OS packages are great, but each is a learning expeirence for newbies such as myself. Hope you enjoy yours!

JimH

Re:My $199 Lindows PC and RedHat 8.0

Quote Originally Posted by Clay
    RedHat Linux 8.0... It took about 40 minutes to install on my old PC, running a 233 mhz cpu with 98 megs of RAM. That's about the same as a Windows 98 installation.
    Whoa! How does it run? That is way under the recommended hardware requirements for 8.0.

Jim H

Clay

Hi Jim,

The RedHat Linux 8.0 runs a bit slowwwww. I guess it's about time to upgrade? :-\

Clay

I reinstalled my RedHat. This time I installed it with both GUIs. My PC runs KDE faster, for some reason.

I'm beginning to like Lindows better. Here is why.

Everything on Lindows works. Not everything on RedHat 8.0 works. My CD Player doesn't work, and my XMMS Player won't play online .wav files. Heck, I had to download a patch just to get the files it was supposed to have for .mp3 files.

As a newbie, Lindows gets my vote. I plan to download and install a .rpm Package Manager, then download whatever I want for an easy install. I guess that's sort of ironic since that's a RedHat product?

Maybe, I'll see things differently in a couple of days, but RedHat's package is buggy, and that's one reason I wanted to switch from Windows. I'm in the process of upgrading my obsolete PC with a faster CPU, bigger Hard Drive and more memory. I doubt that will resolve issues with a butchered XMMS application, or other things. DARN IT!!!!

yeah, i think lindows is good for a newbie, but i'd still reccomend rh/drake/suse/deb/slack etc power wise
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

To each his own, it is good to have someone using lindows in case questions arise ;D ;D : :P

Clay

Well, the bottom line is use-ability.

I noticed yesterday how easily my 15 year old daughter was using the Lindows computer to do her homework. She used the internet without problem and found herself at home in OpenOffice. M oldest daughter returned for the weekend from college. I noticed that she also had no problems with the Lindows PC. Heck, she had an attractive looking CD Player blasting away on it, while I was using the RedHat whose CD Player wasn't working.

The girls had a choice between using either PC, and they chose the Lindows variety.

JimH

Are you sure your sound card is detected and working at all in Red Hat?

Remember you didn't install Lindows, it came preinstalled. You don't know what they had to do to make sure everything worked before they ship them. And they would make sure that the sound cards they used worked at all under Linux.

Clay

Hi Jim!

The sound card works. You're also right about it not being a Linux problem. I think that RedHat somehow screwed up its XMMS software when they went into it to weed out .mp3 support. I can play Real Audio and even streaming Real Audio, but not Netscape Radio, for some reason.

The sound card is a Sound Blaster Vibra PnP. I may uninstall version 8.0 and try version 7.1 again.

One nice thing about the Linodws PC (besides its price $199) is that all of its software is Linux friendly, and the Linux drivers are already loaded. It comes out of the box running Linux and running it well. I hooked up my cables, plugged it in, and I was on the internet and playing music in just a few minutes! That was a very good Linux experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Clay
    The sound card works. You're also right about it not being a Linux problem. I think that RedHat somehow screwed up its XMMS software when they went into it to weed out .mp3 support. I can play Real Audio and even streaming Real Audio, but not Netscape Radio, for some reason.
    Stop bashing rh for its choice that it made about licencing.
    my puter works fine with the stock xmms package
    is the realplayer stuff on the rh install or the lindows one?
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??