Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Please help-Should be simple

Thread: Please help-Should be simple

M_A_G_I_C

Please help-Should be simple

Hey everyone, got pissed at microsoft, came to mandrake 9.0. I've been downloading some files and they are .tar.gz. I have no clue how i install the program from this file, Could anyone help me?

mugs

Re:Please help-Should be simple

Got this from:

http://www.tldp.org/FAQ/Linux-FAQ/po...MPILE-PROGRAMS

Q: How Do I Install GNU Software?

A: On a correctly configured system, installing a GNU software package requires four steps:

With the [source.tar.gz] archive in the [/usr/src/] directory, or wherever you maintain your source files, untar and decompress the package with the command:

tar zxvf package-name.tar.gz

Run the ./configure script in the untarred source archive's top-level directory with whatever command line arguments you need. The options that configure recognizes are usually contained in a file called [INSTALL] or [README].

Run make. This will build the source code into an executable program (or programs) and may take a few minutes or a few hours, depending on the speed of the computer and the size of the package.

Run make install. This will install the compiled binaries, configuration files, and any libraries in the appropriate directories.

M_A_G_I_C

Thanks A LOT! Only one problem.. it says i dotn have permission to extract there??? Is ther a way to give me user name ROOT permission.. or do i have to operate mycomputer from root login

M_A_G_I_C

ok im on root.. i dont undertsand this. Run a command?? Where do i run a command at.

mugs

instead of logging on as root, you can just do a su. What you do is go into konsole or xterm. You can do an Alt-F2 then type in xterm. then type in SU and then enter your root password. Then you can execute the commands in the installation instructions. Once you complete step 1, you can go into the folder it creates and read the install or readme files for more specific instructions.

M_A_G_I_C

ok i got that, but whats this command thing? is that what i use konsole for?

M_A_G_I_C

do yo by chance have aim or another messaging program i can talk to you on

mugs

you can look for me on AIM at mugsisme. By commands I just meant the ./configure, make, and make install referenced in the how to above. Yes, that is where you type them in, in Konsole or Xterm, etc.

JimH

You should actually be compiling software as your regular user and then only switching to root to install them.

Jim H