Thread: Update

KenHan

Update

Hi all!

I'm wondering .. how do you guys do when a new version of slack comes out to upgrade ? ... is there a feature in the setup program that allows you to upgrade your install ?? or do I need to save config-files and do a clean install?

Thinking about the upcoming 9 .. or if I wanted to try the "current" .. do I need to be a whizz, or is it easily done ?

//KenHan

Neoslak

Re:Update

Slackware-current rocks!

Although it is possible to upgrade, (I've been upgrading continuously since Slackware 3.5) I highly recommend a clean install if possible. It is much, much easier to copy your files you want to save elsewhere, install clean, and then copy them back and/or editing the new config files to do what your old ones did. The pkgtools includes upgradepkg, installpkg, and removepkg... see man pages and the Slackware Book on these. The upgradepkg tool is, IMHO, best used to upgrade packages within a major release, but to jump from 8.1 to current (9 beta 1), install clean. If you do the upgradepkg route you have to be pretty careful to upgrade certain packages first, and in a specific order... and even then might have to manually fix some sym-links, etc. Just install clean. Then, it's easy.

I actually recommend current as it is right now, but it is beta... your mileage may vary. I've had good luck with it... installing it is the same as for 8.1 if you can burn a cd... no special wizardry needed. CDRecord works good for me. There are instructions on making a bootable install CD with CDRecord in the isolinux/ directory. Note: you have to exclude either Gnome or KDE, on your install CD to fit everthing else on an install CD as explained in the ISOLINUX/README.

ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-current has the most current of current... but it is dog-slow... I usually get about 7Kbps at best.

There are several mirror sites that are much, much faster but may be from several days to several weeks behind current at slackware.com.

If you use ftp (and I just happen to really like Gftp), you can download -current from a mirror, and then just download the few files that have changed in the last few days, if any, from slackware.com using the Gftp <Tools> <Compare Windows> to flag the files that are different. (This is just how I do it. Others may recommend other methods).

A cool list of mirrors are listed at http://wildwizard.kicks-ass.org/ as well as at slackware.com.

What the heck. give it a whirl! You'll then be all set for when Slackware 9 is officially released.

Chuck Bell

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by Neoslak
    Slackware-current rocks!
    Coooooool! 8) Is Slackware 9 going to have Gnome 2?

The upgradepkg tool is, IMHO, best used to upgrade packages within a major release, but to jump from 8.1 to current (9 beta 1), install clean.
    I agree with this for any distribution. It is alright to upgrade within major releases, but you are better off doing clean installs for major releases.

Jim H

Neoslak

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    Slackware-current rocks!
    Coooooool! 8) Is Slackware 9 going to have Gnome 2?

Jim H
    Bob Knows! <grin>

But check out Dropline Gnome - It's Gnome2 tweaked for Slackware. It is supposed to be for Slackware 8.1 currently but I've been running it with great results on 9 beta 1 for a couple of months now. It's great!

Chuck

JimH

Bob Knows! <grin>
    Who's Bob? Someone I should know? ???

i think he's one of Oscars mates
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Neoslak

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    Bob Knows! <grin>
    Who's Bob? Someone I should know? ???
    Check out:

http://subgenius.com/

Chuck
    -----------
    Got Slack?

JimH

LOL. Looks like fun. I will have to peruse it a little when I get a chance.

cindir

The one and only Bob Dobbs! Are you still pink? ;D