Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19
How To Build A Server?

Thread: How To Build A Server?

VampyreUK

How To Build A Server?

I am attempting phase out my Windows 2000 domain controller on my home network.

The machine is a Compaq Proliant 5000 with 512Mb memory, 4 x Pentium Pro 2000 CPU's and a RAID 5 25Gb Ultra SCSI array ... I have added a SiS 8Mb PCI video card, it's not good but it is far superior to the now disabled on board video.

I have installed SuSE 8.0 on it, selecting for no office apps, KDE and the network server option. What I want to do now is how to do the following:

* Set up some print queues: I have three printers:
    - An HP 640C on a single printer HP Jet Direct Box.
    - An Epson EPL-5700 Laser on port 1 of a three port Jet Direct Box
    - An Epson 600 on port 2 of the same three port Jet Direct Box

* Set Up Samba to authorise (act similar to an NT domain controller), file & print sharing for Linux and Windows clients.

* Add an ISDN card & setup:
    - Mail Proxy (preferably some kind of mail database accessible from both Outlook and a Linux mail client).
    - Internet Proxy

* Finally add a raid controller (I gotta buy this but it will probably be a Promise ATA 133 Raid Card) and transfer my two 80Gb data drives to the new box.

Once that's done I should be able to decommission my Win2K server.

Note: it is necessary, in the short term at least, to maintain some compatibility with windows networks.

Are there any good resources for doing this?

JimH

Re:How To Build A Server?

Quote Originally Posted by VampyreUK
    * Set Up Samba to authorise (act similar to an NT domain controller), file & print sharing for Linux and Windows clients.
    Samba docs.
    http://samba.org/

* Add an ISDN card & setup:
    - Mail Proxy (preferably some kind of mail database accessible from both Outlook and a Linux mail client).
    - Internet Proxy
    What so you mean by mail proxy?
    You can use Squid as a proxy.
    http://www.squid-cache.org/

* Finally add a raid controller (I gotta buy this but it will probably be a Promise ATA 133 Raid Card) and transfer my two 80Gb data drives to the new box.
    It will cost more money, but you might consider a 3ware ATA RAID card. They are true hardware RAID. Not the "software" RAID the Promise controllers use. Plus the 3ware drivers are open source. ;D So you don't have to rely on the Promise binary drivers.