Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

To All You Fools!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To All You Fools!

Hybrid View

To All You Fools!

To all you fools that are using distros other then Kubuntu: what the hell are you doing? I was on the net the other day and I stumbled upon Kubuntu. Well, I was absolutely amazed by this Distro. I took every os on my computer off, and I installed this in its place. KDE 3.4, AmorK 1.2, and other great stuff are a couple of the reasons why you should have this. The schmick KDE 3.4 desktop is amazing! It looks so great, so different, that I nearly went potty just seeing the tool tips fade into view, right in front of my eyes. I don't have the url for Kubuntu, but search for the Hoary release of Kubuntu on google, and you'll find it.

Stop spending time reading this post and get it now!!!
    My Website:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Website Uptime:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

Re: To All You Fools!

heres the link http://www.kubuntu.org.uk/
    while im not using kubuntu im using the latest ubuntu version, and am thouroughly impressed on the gnome end as well, this is the first distribution that has detected my usb flash drive and put it on the desktop, also if your using an older ubuntu warty, go into /etc/apt/sources.list and switch warty to hoary, once that is done
    #apt-get update
    #apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    that should do the trick one thing with ubuntu learned this after installing hoary last night is be careful when adding non ubuntu repositories, but i have to say im really impressed with gnome 2.10 im excited to see what kde 3.4 is like

I will admit that have been utterly impressed with Ubuntu. I found out about Kubuntu a little while ago but I haven't had a chance to install it yet. I am going to use to replace my aging main desktop, a Mandrake install.

Thanks for the mini-review beez.
    jro -

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

honestly i wasnt impressed with the warty release at all, it seemed to me like it was just debian sid set up for a normal user, other thant that there was nothing to me that seemed outstanding, but in hoary as stated the flash drive is what hit me first, but now that im playing around with it more there are alot of useful tools namely the custom applications included to add/remove or update software, the add/remove application reminds me vaguely of add or remove programs from microsoft, very easy to use for the newer user, and the update utility by ubuntu is pretty good as well no messing with synaptic (because while its a great tool, sometimes a pain installing packages, the newer user regular window user would probaly have troubled), the repositories from ubuntu have always been a pain to me because i have close to 60 repositories on my other debian installs, and installing something non ubuntu packaged can somtimes be a bit troublesome, especially if you use apt-get dist-upgrade, on gnome 2.10 i was amazed when i first saw it ubuntu cleaned up and put on a pretty good wallpaper instead of the plain one from warty, however there is still that human theme set of browns, which was quickly replaced by a mac osx style theme, next up was playing around with gnome im a big gnome person its my favorite de, and this is the first debian based distro that was had gnome 2.10 that i knew of, i looked around opened all the applications and i have to say the new gnome is awesome, even the small and subtle changes impress me for example the mixer applet has a more rounded feel and you can scroll through the list of options instead of it being blocky and one long wide application (my opinion of gnome 2.8, and yes i know you can edit it), my favorite thing however were the three menus at the top applications, computer, and places. Personally i think ubuntu does a damn good job of organizing their menus its a bit different but it works out well, the places menu is a very nice feature giving links to the various places on your comptuter for quick and easy access, computer mostly contained system configuration stuff, in fact having all that in one menu was rather nice, and then applications again well organized, and it contains system apps which at first i thought was close to system configuration but it wasnt sorta hard to be explained, next up the sudo feature this is a big improvement over the other window like distros, defaulting to root, sudo is preconfigured and there is no root this is great in my opinion i currently use sudo on all my systems so its a nice feature, so is ubuntu a user friendly distro id have to say so, i dont like suse fedora or mandrake because they remind me too much of windows, ubuntu on the other hand keeps that light and quick feel that linux has yet keeps it easy to use, hoary shows it even more so with their custom applications, let me put it this way hoary is going on all my friends computer that want to try linux, and for my senior thesis presentation its getting a mention as well, now despite it having a usable and easy interface it is still great for a power user it has a debian base so there are alot of different customizability options, just take it slow dont want to break your system took three installs of hoary to figure that out

how about hardware, im running a amd64 box and ive been searching for a distro that i like and supports x86_64, debian was my favorite system as is, so i looked into the various based debian x86_64 distros i didnt like any of them, even the first ubuntu, i even tried the unoficcial debian64 version and that had hardware issues and a slow boot time, however ubuntu mains a pretty good boot speed the faster ones would be say slackware or gentoo, but still for a debian base it boots pretty fast, so how well does it integrate 32 bit support very well id have to say the only bettrer 64bit distro is gentoo which im using as well working on it in my spare time, in the end however my only gripe is the ubuntu repositories, it can go to all hell if you use an outside repository (just install what you want then mark it out of the sources list), and there seems to be issues with packaging in some places, like it cant install kubuntu-desktop because it cannot install kde, kde cannot be installed because libkde4 is not marked to be installed, libkde4 cannot be installed because there are no versions, just example, other than that i have minor gripes ive always been most impressed with debian based stuff, the other big thing is i cant get my sata drive working nv-sata is always doing this
    nv_sata adding primary
    nv_sata removing primary
    nv_sata adding seconday
    nv_sata removing secondary
    even when its not mounted, either way id recommend it for a try (whether you like kde or gnome)

few more things i should mention, this seemed to help me big time i upgrade from a warty install, anyhow in the repositories leave warty in the repositroy as well, i dont know what it is but if i left warty out my system essentialy got screwed, especially with 32bit applications

ubuntu includes xorg and xorg has some pretty features so heres a thread on how to get them to work
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=20769

on installing nvidia drivers
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=21111

on multimedia applcations
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=20588

I noticed that Kubuntu came with Mp3 support right out of the box, unlike Ubuntu. I hated Ubuntu, and I hate when there is a distro that doesn't support MP3, because no matter how inferior that codec is, it is still used by everything. The KDE 3.4 desktop is simply amazing. It looks so much better, it runs quickly, and what they have done with Konqueror is great. As to hardware compatibility, I haven't been able to get my network card recognised, which is unusual, because it is very common. I was not able to fix it, so I ended up installing Knoppix 3.7, and then installing the Kubuntu KDE 3.4 desktop right over it!
    My Website:

My Website Uptime:

i just finished installing the kubuntu-desktop after some playing around with apt im going to ry that out once i get the nvidia driver, on the network card iim unsure possibly grab knoppix's hardware detection program, but at times i did what you do install another debian and then install ubuntu stuff over it, but this is still beta right, if so any ide how long till its finalized

Mentor

From Distrowatch.com
    2005-03-18 NEW Development Release: Kubuntu 5.04 Preview
    kubuntu Kubuntu 5.04 Preview has been released for testing: "The Kubuntu team is pleased to announce the preview of their first release. Kubuntu is a new distribution using the solid base of Ubuntu and the stunning KDE 3.4 desktop. This release follows the preview release last week of Ubuntu 5.04. The final release of Kubuntu 5.04 will be on April 6th. ... KDE 3.4 brings many improvements including the excellent KPDF reader, advanced groupware support in Kontact Personal Information Management Suite and Kopete instant messenger plus HAL support for removable media. We also include the feature packed amaroK 1.2 music and Kaffeine 1.5 video players." More details in the release announcement. Download (i386): hoary-install-i386.iso (700MB), hoary-live-i386.iso (696MB). CD images for AMD64, IA64 and PowerPC computers are also available

I was just wondering, does anyone else have problems with networking with Kubuntu? At the startup, it says that is is starting the network interface, it hangs for a while, then tells me it is done. When I want to use the network, it tells me that it is unreachable. Is there a command I can use in a shell that will allow me to look at my network? Also, how would I change I.P's with a command?
    My Website:

My Website Uptime:

i just ran into network problems lately as well upgrading my kernel to 2.6.10, so then i switched back to the default from warty and got a 2.6.11 kernel from another repository and that fixed it, the only other time i had network issues was when i turned on my netmon applet in gnome then the network shut off, on it hanging im not sure

I have heard alot of odd stories about people upgrading to kernel 2.6.10. I think I am just going to skip that one and move right over to 2.6.11 when I do upgrade.
    jro -

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7