Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

To All You Fools! - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: To All You Fools!

Hahaha! I never really like Ubuntu myself, didn't seem to have much to set it apart. I really don't like Gnome either, I'm a self confessed KDE boy. However, I think Ubuntu has been a heaven sent to Linux and Gnome alike, as thousands of people are using it. But again, if you want a great Debian distro, try SimplyMepis. It has a great set of codecs and plugins that are not normally on Linux systems. We all know that the plugins and codecs are not the easiest to configure, either. Ubuntu doesn't even play MP3s!

I know that OGG is better then MP3, but for compatibility, MP3 is the way to go. Mepis has lame preinstalled, along with Flash, Java, and a host of video plugins (including WMV, WMA, and RM files). What else can you want?

I might give Slack a go soon, just for a try.
    My Website:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Website Uptime:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

Try Kubuntu beez. Its Ubuntu with Gnome stripped out and KDE in its place. 4.10 is supposed to be coming out the 8th so hopefully LT will get the torrent soon after.

http://kubuntu.co.uk
    jro -

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Re: To All You Fools!

jro i think that beezlebum first used kubuntu and that was what this was originally about i steared it more towards to ubuntu, and i cant beleive mandrake was unseated, i have to say yay thought, and i read the interview as well with Mark Shuttleworth it would be awesome to have an ubuntu based on E17 (there arent many E based distros)

on slackware, i tried it i loved it and not using slapt-get or swaret, however i stopped using it because i havent seen or found an x86_64 port which is what i primarily use now(and it dropped gnome support)

on mepis on another board i was on, it seemed alot of people were impressed with it, there appears to be a growing number of debian based distros

in the end you use what you like

Whoa, your right. But hey, that was like 3 pages of posts ago, I can't be expected to remember that! I have a hard time remembering what I did yesterday!

On a totally different note, I feel like a total ass for bringing the thread full circle back to the very place where we started. I will now crawl under the largest rock I can find.
    jro -

Mentor
    Not that rock, the other one, yeah over there by the Gnomes you fool.

Ubuntu does play mp3's Beez, if you get Hoary and do some upgrading, all the multimedia stuff starts working.

Right now I have a red circle with what looks like a 'refresh' symbol in the upper right-hand corner of my screen. I will clik on that and get a couple of screens that say what is being added or upgraded. One more clik and then I will go out and plant some tomatoes while my dear machine is being updated/upgraded and made more secure. That is good cause I would rather plant tomatoes than try to fix my computer which I don't know how to do.

Ubuntu is good! Tomatoes Good!

that is one of the good things about ubuntu is that it is extremely easy to use, however for some people that is a downside because im a constant tinkerer oh well it works right

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal Error";p="7326
    Not that rock, the other one, yeah over there by the Gnomes you fool.
    Stop playing to my weaknesses! Gnomes are truly scary. That and they are always into things. Stupid gnomes...
    jro -

Mentor
    Fatal Gnome? That has a nice ring, eh?

N0thing, True, Ubuntu is wicked friendly. Back a few (maybe many) months ago we did this dance on the forum. I felt that Knoppix would be a good start for a gEEk wanabe and Ubuntu was for the non-gEEk world. Knoppix is getting so good it may not be a gEEk thing now.

But, its always 'run what ya brung' with Linux. I support any distro as long as it Debian based! OSS! All the time, every where!

Yeah, i am a debian boy myself. I don't think that the original debian boys are going to have a nice time competing with all of these debian based distros. Yeah, i tried Kubuntu, the Hoary build (KDE 3.4), but there were too many problems with networking. It must be the 2.6.10 kernel, cause I had the same thing with the SimplyMepis 2.6.10 install. It worked fine when I used the 2.4.x kernel though. Just weird!

I tried installing the Kubuntu KDE 3.4 from the cd on my simply mepis install, but everything screwed up, so i had to reinstall. I have tried it once before by installing ubuntu on top of kanotix, and that worked. Pity, cause the KDE 3.4 is so lovely, and I really love AmaroK 1.2!
    My Website:

My Website Uptime:

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

i have to agree looking back ive had nothing but trouble with 2.6.10, going back to my previous statement of me being a tinkerer, and i like to try and break softwre ive reinstalled ubuntu hoary about 5 times, and i found the best way is to start with a warty install cd, when finished change the mirrors to hoary let it install and then remove the 2.6.10 kernel add another repository and install a 2.6.11 kernel worked fine for me because my primary computer broke, and im using an atholon xp machine and noticed some serious network issues with the 2.6.10 kernel, i dont like ubuntus kernel that much least 2.6.10

one of the other biggest benifits of ubuntu that ive noticed is memory consumption most other versions ive tried cept gentoo and slackware eat north of 400mb however ubuntu is posting a constant consumption of just a bit over 128mb, im still having gripes about using non ubuntu repostiories, and the fact its so damn easy to us