Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Slackware
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slackware

Neoslak

Slackware

Been using it for years.... It's my favorite Linux distro. Easy to install. Straightforward package management, stable as a rock, Slackware-current always has the newest packages of any distro but they are nearly always more stable than "stable". It's the most Unix and BSD like of all the distros I've tried. Works good even on old hardware. Excellent combinations of packages. Best for servers. Best for desktop. Best all around. IMHO
    It's easy to optimize and make customized packages.

I'm running Slackware 9 beta 1 with kernel 2.4.19 on 6 computers using Reiserfs, Gnome2, Enlightenment, Apache, Sendmail (or Exim) IMAP, Samba, Xfree 4.2.1, a whole slew of multimedia apps - Xine, Mplayer, etc. etc. kde 3.1 rc2, etc. etc. and it just works good with everything I throw at it.

I like Debian, too, especially for all the architectures it supports and Apt is great, but I really like Slackware better.

cindir

Re:Slackware

Well Duh! :P
    I could have told you slack was the best
    Just ask Skynet and Aaron Adams!

No competiton.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

'cept maybe from Redhat
    muahahahahaha
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

mAineAc

Quote Originally Posted by alastair
    'cept maybe from Redhat
    muahahahahaha
    RedHat is no competition to Slackware. It is an OS of its own. And after 8.0 it is looking less and less like linux and more like a proprietary hunk of junk.

just out of curiousity (and because i want to see JimH's reply.... ) what makes you say that?

mAineAc

I tried RH 8.0 for a little bit. It maybe good for a newbie who doesn't have a clue about linux. They have renamed icons so that they don't tell you the program but rather say something like 'music player'. They ave tried to make the desktops indistinguishable. One of the things i like about Linux is the choices, they have tried to take that away. You can't just download a kernel at kernel.org and compile it and install it because everything breaks because of all the proprietary stuff in the kernel. You have to wait for them to build a kernel to their liking before you can get the newest kernel.

Quote Originally Posted by mAineAc
    I tried RH 8.0 for a little bit. It maybe good for a newbie who doesn't have a clue about linux.
    Thats the great thing. its great for newbies, professionals and servers. _i_ have no problem with it, and im a fairly advanced user.

They have renamed icons so that they don't tell you the program but rather say something like 'music player'. They ave tried to make the desktops indistinguishable.
    Im sure a newbie would be stunned at the choice avaliable to them. im of 2 sides to this move. it makes it look more 'redhat-like' but at the same time it makes it easier for people to switch between windows and the environments. anything redhat _can_ be switched off, and if you really don't like it, uninstall it and put on a version from the official website.

One of the things i like about Linux is the choices, they have tried to take that away.
    they have? rh has soooooo many cool config programs, i couldn't live without them
    as i said before, you can still change anything in kde or gnome to your liking, hell don't use it if you don't want too. i don't.
    You can't just download a kernel at kernel.org and compile it and install it because everything breaks because of all the proprietary stuff in the kernel. You have to wait for them to build a kernel to their liking before you can get the newest kernel.
    i find this hard to believe.
    there was alot of stink thrown up after the whole bluecurve thing, if rh put proprietary stuff in the kernel i think you would find _no one_ would use it. i have compiled my own kernel for use in rh brfore and found nothing broken.

this isn't intended to be a flame, but i hope you think more before sensless bashing of other distros

Alastair

KenHan

Slackware rocks!!!

go slack and never go back !

//KenHan ;D 8) : ;D

Hehe

*Babbing Throws Gentoo into the pit

Gentoo is practically slackware with a portage system, and oh yeah i forgot, it is also about 20 times coooooooooler! ;D

also, Alastair is right about the kernel issue, RH won't have an issue with a custom kernel, heck, if you don't use the gui, can't you customize the kernel upon installation?

Another thing about the names. I thought that it was a rather brillant idea to do what they did. they always had the names of the application in the menus, but yuo never knew what they did until you looked them up, if you were new that is. It seems they have come to realize that instead of putting the name in the menu, which is soley for style, they have put the function in instead. i bet it helped a lot of people.