Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP Pavilion ze4125

HP Pavilion ze4125

Hey everyone (long time no post... i know i know)

I recently got a new laptop. It's a Hewlett Packard Pavilion ze4125. It came with WinXP Home edition. I've been looking for a cd based distro I can use on it. I've tried the following:

Knoppix
    DemoLinux
    Biatchux

Biatchux kernel panics during the boot process.
    Knoppix and DemoLinux will get to a "boot:" prompt
    to pass parameters for various boot options, but will
    not boot past that point. (I think it may be a problem with the default video settings being too high for my card or screen. I can't pass in any parameters to these two because the "s" key doesn't work and I need it for the parameters I need to pass. For some reason it's the only key that doesn't work (as far as I can tell anyway)

The laptop has an ATI Radeon IGP 320M video chipset, a DVD Rom / CDR, a mobile AMD Athlon XP 1600+ cpu.

It has no floppy drive (and thus I haven't tried any floppy distros.)

I didn't want to go through the hassle of installing a full distro on this machine if I could run a CD based distro...

Has anyone used Linux on this machine? If so, what distribution (even if it's a full distro, so I can know which ones really work before I install one if I decide to.)

Does anyone know of any other CD based distros (other than devil?)

Thank you for your time, and I wish I could give a dmesg but "dmesg" has an "s" in it, so.....

gaxprels

JimH

Re:HP Pavilion ze4125

Quote Originally Posted by gaxprels
    The laptop has an ATI Radeon IGP 320M video chipset,
    Hate to say this, but I don't even think this video chipset is supported in the current XFree86 CVS. :'(

Might get it to partially work using the vesa driver. Other then that it will work in text mode only.

Jim H

Thanks for the response. According to xfree86.org, the 4.2.1 server should work with the "ati" driver for Rage 128 and Radeon chips... It doesn't say which specific Radeon chips, so I could only assume all or most of them (and this is accelerated support, btw.) I think the problem is either:

A) this is a new chipset and isn't supported yet as you suggested
    B) the CD's are loading the wrong driver... or
    C) the resolutions are wrong and a parameter needs to be passed.

So, I guess I'm screwed until I get my USB floppy drive in the mail to test floppy distros to see if I can find the right
    combination to make it work (if possible.)

Does anyone have a clue as to how to get around the "broken
    s key" issue? I would normally try passing in the US keyboard
    mapping, but again it has an "S" in it lol..

Oh well... Thanks again for the help,
    gaxprels

I found a distro I can boot completely into and play with,
    (BUT THE D*MN "S" KEY STILL DOESN'T WORK) hmph

Anyway, the LinuxCare Bootable Toolbox booted fine. I even got X working with 1024x768 resolution (thought I'm not sure what the color depth was...) The only problem I've had with it was after setting up the networking (using their networking wizard to load the modules) when I started X it froze and I had to turn the machine off at the power (which isn't that big a deal since it's a CD distro... no critical info to lose!

The only odd thing is that d*mn "s" key. Every other key works but it.

I'll post more later if I find a fix.
    Thanks again for the help,
    gaxprels

JimH

A) this is a new chipset and isn't supported yet as you suggested
    This is your problem.

B) the CD's are loading the wrong driver... or
    More likely it doesn't have a driver and is not setup to fallback to trying the vesa driver. The distro you managed to get to work probably falls back to using the vesa driver if it detects an unknown video controller. Which is what they should all be doing.

Jim H

SunDevil

The only odd thing is that d*mn "s" key. Every other key works but it.
    Cant you just use: alt-83 and alt-115?
    Make sure numlock is turned on. on your notebook those number should be on the right side of your keyboard so the 's' is no more problem.

Jim...
    I watched the boot process and it did install the vesafb drivers... thanks for the tip.

SunDevil...
    I tried the alt-83 and alt-115 with and without numlock set... in and out of X... neither one works.... thanks for the tip anyway. I don't know why it doesn't work, but it's definitely just a linux issue, NOT a windows hardware issue.... all of the keys work under windows AND freebsd and openbsd, but the "s" doesn't work in linux.....

I've tried google and can't seem to find anything like this... i'm gonna scrounge the mailing lists next.

Thanks everyone for the help,
    gaxprels

JimH

all of the keys work under windows AND freebsd and openbsd, but the "s" doesn't work in linux.....
    Thats wierd. I don't recall seeing anyone report something like this. ???

Jim H

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    Thats wierd. I don't recall seeing anyone report something like this. ???

Jim H
    Yeah... like I said, I can't find anything like it on google, either. I've even tried pluggin in a ps/2 keyboard to use instead, and it still doesn't recognize any input from the "s" key. ALT-<number> combinations don't work with or without the num lock on either...

I think I'm going to have to get my old laptop out, install OpenBSD 3.2 (coming out soon) and make a cd release of that with the tools I need so I can boot without installing anything....

Thanks again for the help guys,
    gaxprels

JimH

Almost makes you wonder if this is a hardware issue that only crops up under Linux and not windoze.

Jim H