Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

DHCP - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DHCP

Re:DHCP

Yes give your box a static Address instead of a dynamic one (dhcp)
    This is specified in the ifcfg-eth0 file, where it says BOOTPROTO=none
    When you do this you need to tell it what the IP address is going to be, look at the rest of the ifcfg-eth0 file.
    look up at last post - i modified it with the settings

Also if your internet is working then wot IP adresses do you have in /etc/resolv.conf?
    They should be working DNS server addresses.
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

mugs

Yo Frisky! I played around tonight and I no longer get the message that eth0 dhcp failed! It says passed and I have an internet connection when I boot. It no longer says dhcp, but I guess it is working right.

So what did you end up doing?
    Static IP or dynamic?
    Did you manually add entries to /etc/resolve.conf?
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

mugs

I did most of the things you suggested, but it wouldnt accept the name servers that i got from my isp. Like I said, it starts and says eth0 passed, but doesnt say eth0 (dhcp), but I sill have it set for that. Anyway, it works now and I am happy.

mugs:

DHCPd is for hosting of a Dynamic IP. If you want to retrieve one from your ISP then you'll need to use either dhcpcd or dhclient.

For example if your behind a router then it would go like this:
    Router -> dhclient eth0 //this will grab an ip from the ISP
    Router -> dhcpd eth1 //this will host the dhcp server for the intranet (LAN)

YourPC -> dhclient eth0 //this will grab an ip from the router

If your PC is connecting directly to the internet then you will still want dhclient eth0. However if your PC is the one hosting the dynamic ip service for the rest of the computers then after dhclient is run, you'll want it to startup dhcpd eth1.

There is also another DHCP method that Slackware uses, and perhaps your distro too. It's called dhcpcd. I think this both host, and grabs ips. I've never used it to host though because my router uses dhclient/dhcpd. I just use it to grab an ip from my router.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny