Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a decent window manager

Hybrid View

SunDevil

Need a decent window manager

I recently switched from windows.

On linux i have used KDE and Gnome, but they both seem a bit sluggish compared to windows. Most programs under linux are slow anyway and that adds to the slowness feeling of the windowmanager. Why do i have to wait 8 seconds before i can see my browser after starting it?

Someone suggested blackbox, which is fast, but a bit too minimal for my taste. I would have loved it if there was an easy way of seeing what i am running and switching between programs.

Can anyone suggest a window manager that will suit my needs?

Re:Need a decent window manager

let the flame war begin!!

i use rox - http://rox.sourceforge.net
    it aims to be like risc OS from the acorn.
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

LiNuts

blackbox/fluxbox - IceWM these all have small footprints and do not hog resources.
    cheers
    LiNuts

SunDevil

I've tried fluxbox, but basically it's blackbox only some file are named different. Blackbox is fast (as far as linux goes) but the interface sucks. There is no way to switch between apps fast (like with a taskbar) there is no decent way to get your menu when you have anything running fullscreen, no clock,..blah blah. Its bascially not a windowmanager.

iceWM is nice, but with the default settings it blows. iceWM itself is terrible slow at loading/rendering windows eventhough the makers claim it has been written as a fast WM ?!? Asside from manually walking through the 300 settings in the prefs-file there is no way to configure it. Eventhough i have read all the docs i still do not know how the get rid of the annoying eth and processor graphs in my taskbar. The programs that give an interface for configuration don't seem to be ready yet or give no information whatsoever about installation (if configure && make && make install doesn't work, its over my head)

So, the quest for a decent WM continous.

I am guessing X or linux is too slow to get a decent-fast wm like windows is. The more i work with linux the more i am starting to like windows.

if you want just a task bar, try fspanel
    http://www.chatjunkies.org/fspanel/
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

well, i am not sure why your computer runs KDE so slow. i run both KDE and Enlightenment, and E is only a hair faster. KDE zooms for me. maybe you need to tinker with X a little bit to optimize it a bit. or maybe you are in a pinch for ram, of which linux is usually pretty conservative with, when it needs to be. either way, i am no sure what to tell you. keep trying. i will look into some X optimizations, and see if any can apply to you.

SunDevil

it's a PIII800 with 256MB ram. Shouldn't give any problems.
    I dunno, maybe i am spoiled , but it bothers me i have to wait so long for an app to start.

The reason why Windows loads it's web browser up so fast is because from boot time it loads Explorer.exe which runs MSIE. The web browser it about the only thing in Linux that should take a while to load. Other then that most of your apps should come up within 1-2 secs tops no matter what WM you use.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny

SunDevil

I know it preloads the browser. I was still going to look for that in linux. mozilla for windows has this -turbo option to preload it. Still havent had time to look into that.

Am i right in assuming the app-startup-speed comes from the WM, or from X?
    or from the app itself?
    or linux?

The application startup speed is based on what the application needs to load. If the application needs to load thousands of shared libraries, then I'm sorry it's going to take a long time, however if the application only needs to load a few things in order to get itself started, then it should be rather quick. X, and your WM should have nothing to do with the speed at which your application loads. They just provide responsiveness to your interface.
    AMD Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz
    1280MB PC-3200 CAS2.5 RAM
    ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB AGP
    Western Digital WDC WD2500JB-00FUA0 250GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Seagate ST3200822A 200GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 120GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Western Digital WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 80GB 7200 rpm ATA/133
    Maxtor OneTouch 2HA43R32 1TB 7200 rpm USB 2.0
    D-Link DFE-530TX+ 10/100 NIC
    D-Link DWL-G520 Rev.A
    Debian 5.0r1 Lenny