Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Need a decent window manager - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a decent window manager

Recondite Phreak

Re:Need a decent window manager

What distro and KDE version are you using?

Also, what filesystem are you running on?

With Mandrake 9.0, I noticed that Ext3 would run circles around ReiserFS, while in the previous version, ReiserFS would run circles around Ext3.

Using Slackware, I don't think I've noticed much, if any, difference between the two FS's, but I haven't been playing with ReiserFS under Slack long enough to make a good evaluation.

SunDevil

RH80 with Gnome.
    filesystem,...dunno. Default i guess.

What are your system specs? i wonder if we can optimize a bit more to speed you up

SunDevil

PIII 800, 256 RAM, Nvidia GForce 2MX, 19" Iiyama.
    RH (was) installed on a 3.5G IBM.

In the mean time i got rid of linux as a workstation. I decided it's great as a server, but it just doesn't do it for me as a workstation.

I do not think a few optimizations would have done the trick. It was not slow, just slower in responding then what i was used to in windows.

suit yourself

Can't say I have ever seen Linux be slower than windows.....[me=Aragorn]ponders, I lied, Linux booting up is slower IMHO, but you only have to do it once a year ;D[/me]

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

well, even the slowest linux boot is even with windows. gentoo starts in seconds, but that is because i have very few modules, err, one module 8)