Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Red Hat and Suse
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Hat and Suse

mugs

Red Hat and Suse

I would like to try Redhat 8.0 but dont want to get rid of Suse. I tried installing it side by side, but I cant add or edit a partition to my linux hard drive. Red Hat tells me "could not allocate partition as primary partition. Does this have anything to do with the fact that Suse is formatted as REISERFS?

Thanks!

JimH

Re:Red Hat and Suse

This is a possibly. AFAIK the Red Hat installer does not support reiserfs.

Jim H

mugs

Ok, that is what I figured. Is Reiserfs just another type of file system? How does it differ from ext3, etc?

JimH

Yes they are both journaling filesystems. What are the differences? Sounds like a job for google.

Jim H

mugs

I will check it out. Before I do, do you know anyway to dual boot Suse and RedHat with my setup?

JimH

Separate hard drives would probably be the easiest way. Sharing between versions of the same distribution is a lot easier then having different distributions occupy the same drive.

Jim H

mugs

Thanks, Jim. I already have separate hard drives for Suse and XP, though. I would really like to try out RedHat, but dont want to get rid of Suse since I have made a lot of progress learning it.

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by mugs
    I already have separate hard drives for Suse and XP, though.
    Well you could always get rid of XP and keep whats good. ;D

muhahahahaha

Jim H

mugs

I would love to....talk to my wife. Although, the scanner wont work in Linux.

JimH

Buy a different scanner?

Jim H