Howdy ho. I'm having some major problems with pcmcia. I bought my first laptop about a week ago. As you can imagine, I don't know much about them. I decided Debian 3.0 would be the ideal operating system for this beast. So I installed and it all went fine. But I didn't have sound support with that old kernel (at least I thought not) and I wanted to use a 2.4 kernel anyway, so I compiled a new one. I first tried 2.4.13 since I already had it downloaded, and now I'm working with 2.4.19. The problem is with pcmcia. Pcmcia_core has always been loading, and finally I got the module for my bridge to load (i82092), but when I try to load ds, it says "no socket drivers loaded!" Searching on the internet, it seems there are a lot of people that have this problem as well, and for many different reasons. Yet none of the reasons seem to be the same as mine. My hypothesis is that I left something out of the kernel, but that's debated by the fact that xconfig should gray out drivers that have unmet dependencies. Other than that, I'm in the dark. I've been working on this for days and have made little progress. Bear in mind that pcmcia and my nic worked with the base kernel, but that kernel was erased when I gave up on 2.4.13 and went to 2.4.19. The computer is an old Compaq Presario 1070. Any suggestions are welcome.