Thread: RH 8.0 / Nvidia Drivers - unable to compile from source

Dodo

RH 8.0 / Nvidia Drivers - unable to compile from source

Redhat 8.0 w. an ASUS 8420TD (GeForce 4 Ti 4200) card.
    The card had been detected during installation though it wonṫ work w. the
    "DDR"-driver. The performance w. the current driver is horrible (1024 x768 w. an headache-like refresh rate - maybe itś also because my Monitor (HitachiCM766ET) has a bit unusual specifications - i experienced troubles with this tank using YDL-Linux and an Nvidiot-card on a different machine.

Either rebuilding the src.rpm or installing from source wouldnt work.

Both processes would end up in an error.

There is nothing in the forum so far and in the NV - Readme that would fix this problem.

This problem should be a native Redhat/Nvidia one, because i installed my machine yesterday, updated from RHN and didnṫ fix anything that wasnt broken....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

/Michael

SwampDonkey

Re:RH 8.0 / Nvidia Drivers - unable to compile from source

Dodo,

Although I'm using a GeForce2 GTS card and a recognised monitor, I got the nvidia drivers working over the weekend by following the OMP (http://www.getlinuxonline.com/module...dia&file=index) and some advice from Alastair (http://www.getlinuxonline.com/yabbse...;threadid=1478) and mixing & matching where required.

Hopefully this isn't going over ground you've already covered. I hope its of some help to you.

Pete

Dodo

Pete,

thx for your advice. Got it fixed!

Id like to point out one thing for the RH-Newbies (like me) here

Dont update after installation has finished!!! :-)

Just recompile the kernel.src.rpm and install the GLX,modify the XFConfig and feel fine.

This does not give an explanation why my previous attempts to install from source on an updated version (RHN update) had crashed but at least it works.

Planet UT , get down on your knees!

SwampDonkey

Woohoo!!!

I managed to help someone

Do I get Guru status yet ??? ??? ???

Pete :P

shutupkid

hey guys.. perhaps one of you could slove a problem i am having with installing suse7.0.. well i got everything installed but at i think step 8 in yast im asked to set up the monitor's resolution and screen size.. prior to reaching this screen a red box pops up saying unable to use signal.. it lists the frequency's hz's... ive 'tested' every screen size/ resolution setting and the system always freezes at the folowing test screen.. any idea how i can fix this? my monitior is relitivly new.. its a mistubushi 22".. tia! -james

Dodo

Quote Originally Posted by shutupkid
    hey guys.. perhaps one of you could slove a problem i am having with installing suse7.0.. well i got everything installed but at i think step 8 in yast im asked to set up the monitor's resolution and screen size.. prior to reaching this screen a red box pops up saying unable to use signal.. it lists the frequency's hz's... ive 'tested' every screen size/ resolution setting and the system always freezes at the folowing test screen.. any idea how i can fix this? my monitior is relitivly new.. its a mistubushi 22".. tia! -james
    Mmmppff... Im not sure but lets give it a try :-).
    Im not common w. the installation process in Susi, but ive had similar problems in Redhat and RH-based YDLinux. Check out what kind of Graphiccard youre using and if its detected correctly. Just because it IS detected correctly it does not mean it has to work flawlessly - there are problems w. some cards (Dunno which problems exactly and which card models,eg. NVIDIA might be picky) . If there is an opportunity to enter custom values (something like "advanced" maybe?) for the monitors horizontal/vertical refresh - rate look into your monitors manual and pick it from there and see if it works.
    This also does not have to function in all cases - same w. my HitachiCM 19".
    If this wouldnt lead to success, see if YAST offers something like "failsafe"-options -if it doesnt, try the generic models and/or LOWER the
    resolution and colour depth. Especially when youre w. NVIDIA your first class GPU might just deliver something like 800*600 at 16bit Colour and terrible refresh-rate without having compiled their appropiate drivers.

Hope this helps Dodo