Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Possible root kit

Thread: Possible root kit

Possible root kit

I was just running my rootkit checker like i usually do, and this came up:

Checking `lkm'... You have 12 process hidden for ps command
    Warning: Possible LKM Trojan installed

Ive run it a few times now, and the number of processes change, ive also had 5 and 9
    So, how do i work out exactly what it is and how do i get rid of it?

Redhat 8.0, kernel 2.4.18-14

Cheers,
    Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Re:Possible root kit

its ok, i upgraded to the latest version of chkrootkit (chkrootkit.org) and all is well. it appeared to be somehting to do with the tools psyche was compiled with
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by alastair
    kernel 2.4.18-14
    Why are you running a kernel that has been updated for security reasons? ???

Jim H

Aaron_Adams

If you're worried at all about LKM rootkits you could always disable LKM support, the next time you compile a kernel. Having drivers built into the kernel is faster anyway.

As long as all your hardware is supported during the kernel configuration it won't be a problem. If there ever comes a time that you get something unsupported, you can recompile.

I'm going to be writing a kernel module that detects when kernel modules are inserted, and emails me. (or something similar). This way, even if someone inserts a hidden LKM, I'll know it was inserted. Fun fun.

chkrootkit isn't the most reliable program for rootkits either. (although it's still good to run on a regular basis) Considering there are a fair amount of people out there that are constantly building custom rootkits, I wouldn't rely on chkrootkit to find them all, especially since, afaik, it uses signatures from mostly public rootkits only.

Your best bet is to implement some inbetween (like the LKM I want to write), or an IDS.