Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

PHP & Perl??

Thread: PHP & Perl??

SwampDonkey

PHP & Perl??

Hi All,

I'm considering writing a custom application for managing and monitoring a bunch of servers for a customer. I currently have bits of Perl dotted here and there doing similar tasks but I want to centralise it and be able to get a better overview. I had pretty much decided on a MySQL backend to hold the configuration and then do the middle layer (the management) in Perl with a Perl/Tk front end.

I'm now also thinking about taking the PHP approach for the front end. Would probably look nicer, be easier to maintain and might be easier to reach from other clients. Plus I'm interested in learning it

Would I be able to have button clicks on the web browser launch Perl code to perform the management tasks I need to do (ie parse log files, check process and service status etc)? I know PHP's heritage is in Perl but I wanted to make sure that there are links between them too

Thanks ....... Pete

Re:PHP & Perl??

perl blows...
    anyway....
    there should be no problem in using both languages in a website, as long as they are both installed.
    Php can run sysem commands using the system() funcion and some othere ones. look at the docs for more info

Alastair

p.s. i wanna learn php too, maybe we can help each other :P :P :P
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

SwampDonkey

Quote Originally Posted by alastair
    perl blows...
    Unfortunately that is the scripting standard within my customers environment. They apparently had better luck getting Perl to work cross-platform than they did Unix shell scripts.

maybe we can help each other
    No problem with that. After all, isn't why we're all here? Its just that at the moment I'm asking more questions than I'm answering

There's still a chance that I might do this through CGI if I go for the browser front end. I'll let you know which I decide on.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonkey
    Unfortunately that is the scripting standard within my customers environment. They apparently had better luck getting Perl to work cross-platform than they did Unix shell scripts.
    what it means is i use php :P :P :P
    Its like the vi vs. emacs war, bash vs tsh, just because i use one, i have an everlasting grudge against the other, but its purly ceremonial ;D ;D ;D
    No problem with that. After all, isn't why we're all here? Its just that at the moment I'm asking more questions than I'm answering
    no probs

what it means is i use php :P :P :P
    Its like the vi vs. emacs war, bash vs tsh, just because i use one, i have an everlasting grudge against the other, but its purly ceremonial ;D ;D ;D

That and vi and perl just blow in general. Both have to much //\\//@!#%!#@$ crap :P

Python and PHP are the ONLY way to go ;-)

Aragorn
    If you give a man a fire he'll be warm, if you light the man on fire he'll be warm for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Aragorn
    That and vi and perl just blow in general. Both have to much //\\//@!#%!#@$ crap :P

Python and PHP are the ONLY way to go ;-)
    yeah, but we can expect that from Aragorn, can't we... :P :P :P

garskoci

"C, C++, PHP, Python, Perl, ASP, etc... Just learning or a seasoned veteran, get programming help here!"

Maybe you should remove Perl from the list!

hmmm...
    *VI* has too much crap??????
    emacs is 20 megs, and includes at least 5 games and a damn *AI PSYCIATRIST!!!!*
    vi is nifty

flandercan

Re: PHP & Perl??

I try to use the right coding lang for the right job,

I tend to use perl for back end server scripts PHP for the front end and C++ for code thats pushed out to other users ie compiled and ready to run.

All three chat to each other a PHP script may take data and store it then a perl program picks it up and process it. I guess its down to pref. But then a coder is a coder is a coder. Once you understand (coding) the lang isnt the important bit.

flandercan