Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

From the USB drive
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From the USB drive

Mentor

From the USB drive

http://loosewire.typepad.com/blog/20...ctory_of_.html

Handy list, I need more thumb drives.

Does anyone know of any Linux distro's that run off a USB key? I know Norton used to have a bootable usb Zip disk but you had to do some trickery to get it to work. I either can't remember or I just haven't heard of anyone trying to make a USB drive Linux. I think that would be really cool.
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Mentor
    http://www.goosee.com/puppy/download/downpage.htm

It was in the previous link. I always provide the answer before I hear the question. There are others out there too.
    Try www.distrowatch.com

Advisor
    maybe you can provide a link on instructions to store a key on a usb key and encrypt your root filesystem too?

[encrypting your root filesystem isn't hard... but i'm not sure how to make it use a usb key to check for a key]

I know you can get a version of Mozilla Firefox that runs right off the usb drive!
    My Website:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Website Uptime:

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

Re: From the USB drive

most of the distros that i know of that offer usb key support, charge for the actual usb key, the easiest thing i tried this once is grab the debian sarge iso, go ahead and install, and plug in the usb flash key during install and when it comes to partitioning set a root partition on the drive, install grub to it, reboot and remove all the stuff you can then install a few light applications, (NOTE IF YOU ATTEMPT THIS, iM RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR FLASH DRIVE IS MOLESTED, YOU ARE WARNED), but it worked for me like three times also setup a small vfat partition as well

Thats a good idea N0thing, one question tho, how did you specify the USB device as a bootable drive to the BIOS? If I can get over this hurdle, the rest isn't particularily difficult.

I am not talking about just storing your preferences on the USB key, but the whole system. You could read and write to it just like a regular install but it would be as mobile as a live CD.
    jro -

are you asking how do you boot from usb like a live cd the settings are in the bios it is usually vied under hard drives

im unsure exactly what your asking

if your asking how do you keep it universal, grab a micro 386 kernel so it will be applicable across all computer, grab kudzu i beleive the tool knoppix uses to detect hardware, the biggest issue is to keep it universal, for x configure the graphic driver to vesa and set to 1024x768

if your asking how do you make the partition bootable, last time i did this worked for me is when partitioning the drive make the / bootable and when it comes to install bootloader choose lilo or grub and then specify it onto the usb partition, i didnt get it work on installing the bootloader to /dev/sdb instead /dev/sdb1,

im not too clear on what your saying, i havent found a great file system yet just find one you like

On my system in the bios under boot devices i set removeable device as the first boot device and save changes stick in my usbkey and reboot.
    For maccorin you can build a initrd.img with busybox and set your bootloader to boot it and run a shell script load your encryption key to decrypt your root fileing system and mountit.
    Wenn Sie Spaß meines Englisch mich Willensfuckingtötung Sie bilden.

Thanks for the replies N0thing, sorry if I am not making myself clear. Pretty much I am just wondering how you set the BIOS to look for the USB key as a boot device. CT, pretty much answered my question. I am thinking that my mobo's are too old to support booting off of USB devices, since I have scoured the boot device section looking for a setting that would allow it to boot from anything other than the CD, Floppy or HD to no avail.
    jro -