Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ComCraq

mugs

ComCraq

I am trying to install Suse 8.0 on an old Compaq 5030. It is a PII 300 mhz machine. (this was a machine my son got from Make a Wish several years ago). Anyway, right away when it gets to the partition check (this is a fat32 Windows 98 machine with an 8 gig hd), it gets to hdd (which is the zip drive) and it just keeps repeating "hdd:hdd lost interrupt over and over again. I also tried Red Hat 7.3 and had the same exact thing. If anyone knows what I can do to get past this, I would appreciate it and so would my 9 year old son who really wants linux on his machine. (this was his older brother's machine, from Make a Wish, like I mentioned above. His older brother died in 2001 :'()

Thanks!

JimH

Re:ComCraq

Try booting the install with: linux nodma

You can do this with Red Hat. I imagine you can also do this with Suse.

If that doesn't work you could temporarily unplug the Zip drive.

Jim H

mugs

Thanks for the reply. I am not familiar with what you mean about nodma, can you elaborate? The zip drive is internal, so it will be a little harder than just unplugging it.

JimH

Booting with linux nodma disables DMA ( direct memory access) in the kernel. More then likely the zip drive does not support DMA and this is what is causing the errors.

Jim H

mugs

Ok, I just dont know how to boot with nodma. I am trying to install, using a Suse boot disk. Can you let me know how to boot that way? Thanks.

at the install prompt just type linux nodma
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

mugs

I finally got back to this and in Suse, there is a Safe Install Option which says "nodma". I thought, great that will do the trick, but I am still getting the lost interrupt on the zip drive. Does anybody have any other ideas? I may just take out the zip drive.

mugs

I disconnected the zip drive and was able to install. Suse runs really poorly on this old machine. I guess it will take some work.

JimH

With old hardware that slow KDE or Gnome is not likely to perform very well using any modern Linux distribution. You are going to be better off running a more lightweight window manager.

Jim H

mugs

Ok, thanks for the suggestion. The sound didnt work either, something to work on.

A question, I have DSL and my main machine uses a router.
    what do I have to do to get this machine to connect to the internet also?