Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

NVidia drivers and Redhat 8.0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NVidia drivers and Redhat 8.0

SunDevil

NVidia drivers and Redhat 8.0

Hi,

I recently started with linux so ran into quite some problems already, but nvidia topped it

I have a GForce 2 MX (generic) nvidia card. It works fine with redhat's 'nv' driver but i was unable to use the hardware acceleration.

So i downloaded and ran the NVchoser utility. It gave me:
    NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.src.rpm
    NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.i386.rpm

I downloaded these and followed the instructions in the README. everything went smooth so far. i adapted the XF86Config and the screen scame up garbled. i managed to lower my res to 1024x768 and am able to see clearly now, but i used to be able to run much higher resolutions. Also my monitor identifyer was blanked, but after resetting that to my monitor (Iiama Vision Master Pro 450) i am still not able to run higher resolutions. When i do i see my desktop 3 times vertically next to each other. Also i am still unable to use hardware acceleration.

Any thoughts/ideas?

Re:NVidia drivers and Redhat 8.0

try lowering the colour depth then increaing the resolution, that might fix it - eg 24bit@1280x1024
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

SunDevil

Doesn't matter. 14 bits and still nothing above 1152x864. With the original drivers i got at least 1600x1200 full color.

Also when i lower the resolution the screen falls outside of my monitor (if i'm making sense). IE: the desktop is still 1280x1024 but there's only 800x600 shown on my monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil
    Doesn't matter. 14 bits and still nothing above 1152x864. With the original drivers i got at least 1600x1200 full color.
    hmmm, sorry i got no idea whats happening here. Spot would blame it on propritery nvidiot drivers, but everyone has their own opinions...:P :P :P
    Also when i lower the resolution the screen falls outside of my monitor (if i'm making sense). IE: the desktop is still 1280x1024 but there's only 800x600 shown on my monitor.
    Yep, that happens to me too, im not sure how to fix it

Alastair

hmmm, what about the refresh rate and clock frequencies?

SunDevil

no clue. where do i look for em? (refresh rates)

I think the screen falling from the monitor has to do with a 'virtual desktop' size. The same is used on notebooks which have a non-variable amount of pixels on their screen.
    I do not know where i can set my virtual desktop size though in redhat.(or linux for that matter)

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by alastair
    Spot would blame it on propritery nvidiot drivers
    And that is probably exactly where the problem lies.

The problem is the Nvidiot binary modules are compiled with GCC 2.x. The kernel in Red Hat 8.0 is compiled with GCC 3.2. Oops

Until Nvidiot comes out with new drivers specifically for 8.0 you might see strange problems. Although I have not seen any mention of this one.

You might look through your XF86Config for mistakes and see if you missed something. Also check /var/log/XFree86.0.log for anything strange.

Jim H

SunDevil

Right. Lets roll back to good old 'nv' drivers then. I dont reall play games anyway so i dont really NEED hardware accelaration, but its fun just the same.

XF86Config looks fine. Didn't miss anything except that i had to remove 'dri' and 'glcore' but i only found 'dri' in the module section.

.log files look fine too. Driver/modules get loaded. I even see the nvidia splash when i start X. Thats the weird thing. Ofcourse the splash looks the same as the rest,...fucked up.

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil
    Right. Lets roll back to good old 'nv' drivers then.
    The "nv" driver in XFree86 does not currently support all of Nvidia's card. Make sure you boot runlevel 3 if you try this until you make sure yours works.

Jim H

SunDevil

see first post.

i come from the 'nv' drivers that worked fine for me. Just no hardware acceleration.