Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Problems configuring Security Levels in RH 8...

Thread: Problems configuring Security Levels in RH 8...

mOdEtWo

Problems configuring Security Levels in RH 8...

Hi!

(I just got to say that I'm a Linux-newbie, but I'm trying to learn)
    I've installed RedHat 8.0. I will use it as a web-server and ftp-server. And I also needs to give access for SSH. When I installed, I chose "Security Levels: High". But when the FW is set like that, noone can access my web/ftp/SSH. So I need to customize it...

I start up the "Security Levels" dialogbox, choose to give access to Web/ftp/SSH, clicks OK, get asked if I wan't to save the settings, and clicks YES. the settings should now been set up right. But, when I enter the "Security Levels" dialogbox, my settings has been ignored, and the level is back on "High", and not "Customized" as I want it to be...

Is this a bug, or what? I've also tried to change it in text-modus (terminalwindow -> Setup ), but I still get the same problem. :-\

Can someone please explain (in english ) how I can solve this problem?

JimH

Re:Problems configuring Security Levels in RH 8...

Quote Originally Posted by mOdEtWo
    Is this a bug, or what?
    Not a bug, just poor functionality.

redhat-config-securitylevel does not display the current setting. It only allows you to set them. ie it currently rewrites it's configuration everytime you use it.

After you configure the setting you want in a console type the following to view the current configuration.

display rules in default chains
    iptables --list

display rules for nat table
    iptables -t nat --list

display rules for mangle table
    iptables -t mangle --list

redhat-config-securitylevel was really intended as a tool for the home user. It configures a firewall with very basic functionality.

Jim H

mOdEtWo

Re:Problems configuring Security Levels in RH 8...

Ok, thank you very much for your answear!
    You've helped me alot!