Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Grub got corrupted

Thread: Grub got corrupted

doggiebone

Grub got corrupted

Hi guys

got duel boot system win98 and rh8.0. my norton antivirus changed my mbr in the process corrupting my linux boot loader ie grub. How can I repair grub to a duel booting system again. Alternativly can you point to the right direction where i can get the info

thx.

JimH

Re:Grub got corrupted

You just need to re-install Grub.

Boot from cd 1. At the prompt type: linux rescue

After the system boots, at the shell prompt:

chroot /mnt/sysimage

Reinstall Grub, If you have it installed in the mbr of hda:
    grub-install /dev/hda

At the prompt: exit
    At the prompt again: exit

When it reboots you should see the Grub bootloader.

Jim H

doggiebone

;D Hi jim

just like to say thanks it worked a treat, I always wondered wat to do when windows trashed grub

JimH

How to use rescue mode is a good thing to learn. It can help a lot when your system doesn't boot.

Jim H

doggiebone

;D Hi jim your right, I've read through the manual ,but it was very vague. Are there any more instructions somewhere that is detailed showinh you how to use rescue?

JimH

Not really a lot of documentation on it. There is a really short chapter on it in the Customization guide.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...escuemode.html

Jim H

dubster

I tried this to fix a similar problem, but it didn't work...
    Already had XP on C:, installed RH8 onto D: & let Grub sort the boot choice thing.
    Now I can't get into XP at all; only get Linux as a choice in grub's loader :'(

Any ideas, o' clever linux dudes ??

JimH

Hmm, I think I just answered this question somewhere else.

Just for info.

http://www.getlinuxonline.com/yabbse...;threadid=1121

Jim H