Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: problems compiling fealnx.c

EL3CTRO

Re:problems compiling fealnx.c

Well no, it's not a typo, it's a K6-2 and it runs at 333Mhz.. The computer was built by compaq, so if 333Mhz is not a standard speed, I guess they might of over/under clocked it.

Sorry if I didn't make this quite clear in my previous post, but I have tried the long way, using the kernel-2.4.18-i386.config file, as apposed to the athlon one. I still get the error while the system boots.

If you could tell me a short way that would work with K6-2 processors, i'd be greatful

JimH

I looked it up and they did make a 333. They probably released it along with a faster speed and just ignored it.

but I have tried the long way, I still get the error while the system boots.
    Hmm, that doesn't sound good. Maybe you have a resource conflict. What error message? Look in /var/log/messages. Post any errors in there when the module tries to load.

If you could tell me a short way that would work with K6-2 processors, i'd be greatful
    gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -fomit-frame-pointer -pipe
    -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i386 -DMODULE -DMODVERSIONS -include /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/include/linux/modversions.h -nostdinc -I /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/3.2/include -DKBUILD_BASENAME=fealnx -c -o fealnx.o fealnx.c

You may want to just update your system with the latest errata kernel. The 2.4.18-19.8.0 kernel includes the fealnx.o module.

EL3CTRO

When i try that command for the short way, I just get a crapload of errors again, mostly dereferencing pointer to incomplete type--

I'm going to try and update my kernel, but if that don't work, i'll get give up and buy a network card that is supported.. Thanks for your help anyway.

Oh, the error at startup was:

"ifup: fealnx device does not seem to be present, delaying eth0 initialization."

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by EL3CTRO
    "ifup: fealnx device does not seem to be present, delaying eth0 initialization."
    /var/log/messages may give more helpful information.

EL3CTRO

Oh sorry, I was being thick again :P

Good news is, that I managed to get it working by updating the kernel, thanks..

However.. A new problem has developed - When the system boots up it now tells me this: (This time, actually taken from /var/log/messages )

network: Setting network parameters: suceeded
    network: Bringing up loopback interface: suceeded
    ifup:
    ifup: Determining IP information for eth0...
    ifup: failed, no link present. Check cable?
    network: Bringing up interface eth0: failed

Ok so the first thing I did was check all the connections, etc. Everything was all connected up, so I booted up Windows 2000 on the same machine and tried to access the network there.. fine no problems there, internet and file sharing worked fine. This leads me to believe that it could be a problem with the way linux is handling the network card.. It is suppost to get it's information from a DHCP server (which is the router in this case). Maybe I haven't set something up correctly? Any ideas?

shappers

I have got exactly the same problem as you EL3CTRO, I have found that if I use the command dhclient eth0, I am then allocated an IP@ from the ISP (I use cable modem), however once this is active, I cannot launch any programs! For instance if I try to launch nautilus, I get this error:

[root@localhost root]# nautilus
    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified

(nautilus:1215): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0

However if I have nautilus running before I type dhclient command, I can happily surf the web.

Try this and see if your getting the same problem.

Has any one got any ideas why this is? (please don't be too technical, I am a very new user)!!!!