Thread: Redhat 8.0 install trouble

bill_bob

Redhat 8.0 install trouble

I am on Redhat 8.0 since the install. Lost access to my previous partitions of Win 98 and Win XP.
    I used Grub boot manager as suggested, installed it to the beginning of the boot sector to not block out the Master Boot record ( so the instructions said)
    Any suggestions on how to regain access to the XP Pro Boot manager or Master Boot record.
    I had used partition magic for Win 98 and Win XP Pro and had prepared a Linux partition in front of Xp Pro, after Win 98. But Partion Magic said I must Activate the Linux partition as the Primary partition and install the new system immediately to regain access to the system.
    The Partition Magic Boot Disks now cannot load saying, " EZ Loader present but not active ".
    Boot Up gives me Redhat or a Dos prompt choice.
    *Knowledge of getting around in Linux is almost nil at this point. ???

JimH

Re:Redhat 8.0 install trouble

This really needs something a little more interactive then the board.

Jump on the IRC channel. If you don't have an IRC client use the web client.

http://www.getlinuxonline.com/ircinfo/irc.html

I will be around for awhile.

courage

Quote Originally Posted by bill_bob
    I am on Redhat 8.0 since the install. Lost access to my previous partitions of Win 98 and Win XP.
    I used Grub boot manager as suggested, installed it to the beginning of the boot sector to not block out the Master Boot record ( so the instructions said)
    Any suggestions on how to regain access to the XP Pro Boot manager or Master Boot record.
    I had used partition magic for Win 98 and Win XP Pro and had prepared a Linux partition in front of Xp Pro, after Win 98. But Partion Magic said I must Activate the Linux partition as the Primary partition and install the new system immediately to regain access to the system.
    The Partition Magic Boot Disks now cannot load saying, " EZ Loader present but not active ".
    Boot Up gives me Redhat or a Dos prompt choice.
    *Knowledge of getting around in Linux is almost nil at this point. ???
    If you have a 98 boot disk then put it in your floppy and reboot. That will bring you up to an A:\ prompt. type c:\ and hit enter, that will take you to a c:\ prompt; then type in fdsk /mbr (there's a space between fdsk and /mbr). That will put your main boot record to a default condition. You'll need a lilo boot floppy to get back to linux. hope this helps, because I'm new too.

atxplus

If you want to dual boot linux the most easiest thing to do if you are working on a clean empty hard drive. is to split the drive into two use dos fdisk load windows any flavour then linux red hat 8.0 if you use the gui installer just choose automatic install and use free space keeping filesystems intact. use grub as your bootloader since its more newer and more easier to set up than lilo