Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Help With Mounting

Thread: Help With Mounting

netviper13

Help With Mounting

I'm a Linux n00b, like so many others right now I guess. Just made the switch from strictly running Win2k to dual-booting 2k and Redhat 8.0 today.

The partition my Win2k is on is formatted NTFS, so I decided to give the tutorial on this site a go. Everything worked like it was supposed to (no error messages anyways), but now I can't mount the drive.

When I put an entry in the /etc/fstab file it does nothing for the next boot, and when I try to /mount the drive, it says it can't find the drive. Please help.

I am logging in as root too.

btw, here's the entry in my /etc/fstab file:

/dev/hda1 /windows ntfs noauto,user,ro 0 0

JimH

Re:Help With Mounting

Quote Originally Posted by netviper13
    When I put an entry in the /etc/fstab file it does nothing for the next boot, and when I try to /mount the drive, it says it can't find the drive.

/dev/hda1 /windows ntfs noauto,user,ro 0 0
    With the "noauto" the partition will not be automatically mounted on boot.

Are you sure /dev/hda1 is your NTFS partition?

Did you create the /windows mount point that your fstab entry shows above?

Jim H

netviper13

/dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2 are my two NTFS partitions. If I use the Hardware Tracker (or whatever the tool is that lists off your hardware, I'm not in front of my machine to check right now), it shows me that they are /dev/hda1 and 2.

How do I create the mount point? Because I have to ask the question, I would assume I have not created it.

JimH

The mount point is the second column in your fstab entry. ie /windows is the mount point below.

/dev/hda1 /windows ntfs ro,noauto,user 0 0

I actually prefer to create my mount points under /mnt instead of putting them under the root filesystem /.

This would create the mount point /mnt/windows. You will have to be the root user to run this command. Only the root user can create a directory under /mnt.

mkdir /mnt/windows

The entry in fstab would be:
    /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs ro,noauto,user 0 0

Then you mount the partition:
    mount /mnt/windows

Also note if you do not use the uid,gid options you will only have read access to the drive as the root user. This is noted in the article.

Jim H

netviper13

It worked this time, thanks a bunch!

frankietomatoes

Where can I find this tutorial or do you have a link?

Thanks

its in the OMP section of our website:
    hmm, i think aragorn has broken it at the moment, theres a copy at:
    http://linuxexperience.com/tutorials/redhatntfs.php
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

JimH

It isn't broken. I temporarily removed the outdated versions from GLO. Until I can put the new one up, just use the one on my site.

Jim H

Quote Originally Posted by JimH
    It isn't broken. I temporarily removed the outdated versions from GLO
    woops, sorry aragorn, but i see you have started moving the omps to the nuke site, looks good
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??