Thread: Help please for complete newbie

carltonyuk

Help please for complete newbie

I am your typical Windows user but after seeing so many good things about Linux on other forums I want to try this new world. I have a number of questions so I beg your forgiveness if I seem to rabbit on a bit. :-[
    1. I have downloaded Corel Linux and copied it to cd. When I boot from the cd I get the initial linux setup screen but as soon as it loads the graphics drivers my display becomes totally illegible. The display is just large pixels all over the screen. When I move the mouse I can see something moving but what it is I just can't see. Could it be that my graphics card is not supported by the OS?
    2. Is this version of Linux really the best for me to learn from? I know I have it now but if there is a more suitable version of Linux would I be better advised to try something else?
    Oh that's not too bad. My head was full of questions but it seems if I can get some answers to those 2 questions then that would clear up a few things for me.
    Thank you. ;D

beanman2k

Re:Help please for complete newbie

I would suggest trying Mandrake 9.0. It is very user friendly and, in my case, I have installed it without a hitch on a number of systems.

Take a look at this site for many others and links to the downloads.

http://www.distrowatch.com/summary.php

Good luck and don't forget to post back.

johnqpublic

Welcome to GLO!
    I also picked Corel as my very first Distro to learn Linux.However,it is also the most outdated Distribution.(about 2yrs) When I did get it to install it had no support for my soundcard,NIC,modem,decoder card or ATA-100 controller (used ATA-66).It almost ended my Linux adventure.As beanman2k stated Mandrake is a great choice as is Redhat, Slackware, Libranet and SuSE although SuSE does not offer ISO's just ftp install.All are free to download or you can always buy boxed versions.Sorry for rambling but your Corel prob brought back old memories.

carltonyuk

Thank you both for your replies. By all accounts my Corel Linux installation problem might be a blessing in disguise if you had so many problems with hardware installation.
    Can I ask one further thing. I have looked at the Mandrake download site and I noted that there are separate modules. Do I need to download them all or is it ok to install one at a time.
    Thanks again. ;D

the mandrake site should have about 3 .iso files.
    download as many of them as you want (2 is good) and put them on CD
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

carltonyuk

Thanks very much for that. I'll get started now and report back how I get on. ;D