Thread: mandrake 8.2, 9.0

Hybrid View

isstudent4life

mandrake 8.2, 9.0

I am having problems booting into 8.2 or 9.0 mandrake on a tri-boot machine. The systems seems to boot fine until it comes to alsa 0.9.... it then stops loading and there is no hard drive activity after that. I used to have 8.1 installed with no problems. After I tried to reinstall newerversions nothing works. The machine in question is a xp2000 chip on an asus a7v333 mobo with onboard sound. two hard drives c: a 40 gig wd and d: a 20 gig maxtor. 98 installed first, xp second, and 8.2, 8.1, or 9.0 last. Please help as I would love to start learning and using new features in 9.

JimH

Re:mandrake 8.2, 9.0

Well I don't have any experience with Drake, but this might at least allow you to boot up.

Go into the motherboard bios and temporarily disbale the onboard sound, midi and gameport. That might allow you to boot. Then go in and disable alsa so it doesn't load on boot.

I don't know how well Linux currently supports Via's KT333 chipset onboard sound. You might be better off for now getting yourself an add in sound card. You will get better sound anyway.

Jim H

Spot

Quote Originally Posted by isstudent4life
    I am having problems booting into 8.2 or 9.0 mandrake on a tri-boot machine. The systems seems to boot fine until it comes to alsa 0.9.... it then stops loading and there is no hard drive activity after that.
    During the boot process, you should see words to the effect of "Press I for internactive startup". Start hammering the I key until you're prompted to start each service manually. Thay way you can at least decline to start the alsa service and get booted up to be able to start looking around in config fles and hopefully find what the problem might be.

Quote Originally Posted by Spot
    During the boot process, you should see words to the effect of "Press I for internactive startup". Start hammering the I key until you're prompted to start each service manually.
    Hmmm,
    note: Don't use a proper hammer ;D ;D ;D ;D
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??