Hybrid View

JimH

Thoughts on 8.0

OK guys new thread to post your thoughts on 8.0. ;D

Jim H

Bogler

Re:Thoughts on 8.0

Still don't have it.

Shops don't have it and the ftp sites are too busy at the moment. I'm really gonna have to get myself DSL.

Looking forward to it and will let you know once i have it installed.

Bogler

i am finishing up the CDs now. i can either go two ways from here. 1. modify partitions to make space, or just use an old 3.5 GB hd for it. i think i will go with option 1. but like anything, it takes a bit of time, and i have none. i will have some thoughts up soon though :P

tore-

well, they didnt use kernel 2.4.19, that i did NOT like

http://www.getlinuxonline.com/yabbse...;threadid=1395

shaun680

I take it CDs 4 & 5 are source disks, like in 7.3. If so I'm planning to install it when I have a free hour or so tommorrow.

garskoci

I haven't installed it and I think that I'll wait. I only use one machine. But... I don't like the idea of Bluecurve. It might turn out to be a great window manager, but I don't like it being proprietary. That was one of the great things about Linux. No matter which distribution you had, we pretty much all got the same thing. I'd like to see if applications run differently under RH as opposed to another distribution. Is Bluecurve open source???? I haven't found any info. on it.

JimH

Bluecurve is just the name of Red Hat's "new look".

IT IS NOT PROPRIETARY. Red Hat is a staunch defender of the GPL. You will not find anything other then GPL software in Red Hat Linux.

I will see if I can't put of a few screenshots.

shaun680,

Yes, disks 4 & 5 are source rpms. Disks 1,2 & 3 and the only one required to install.

Jim H

garskoci

JimH - You are correct! I found a good article that goes into reason for creating Bluecurve. Hopefully, they will accomplish what they set out to do. If so, it should only attract more newbies. I was afraid that RH was coming out with a new rabbit with antlers. I'll have to give it a whirl in a month or so.....

JimH

Alright guys for those who don't have 8.0 installed here are a bunch of screens.

The are all of Gnome. Everything in the screens comes with 8.0 except the last three screenshots. They are of Eclipse. It does not ship with 8.0. They just make nice screens. ;D

I don't have KDE installed so no KDE shots, I will see if I can do something about getting some up. I'm just not a KDE user.

Enjoy. These are full screen shots. If you have a modem it might be a little slow.

http://www.getlinuxonline.com/Downloads/psychescreens/

Jim H

worked fine for me on dialup
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??