Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thoughts on 8.0

JimH

Re:Thoughts on 8.0

FAM = file alteration monitor.

That error indicates the FAM isn't running at all. Is this an upgrade or a clean install? If an upgrade from what version.

See if fam is running
    ps aux | grep fam

FAM is run via xinetd. The config file is /etc/xinetd.d/sgi_fam

Check and make sure xinetd is running
    /sbin/service xinetd status

Jim H

Quote Originally Posted by Bogler
    1. My shell icon disapeared from the kde taskbar (the icon with the shell and black terminal) how do i get it back?
    Make sure that you install it, Konsole that is, and then if you did it will be in you KDE popup menu. just drag and drog to kicker :P

Quote Originally Posted by Bogler
    6. I tried switchdesk gnome as root and when i restarted X i still got kde?
    Heh, this is humorous to me since i got the two confused for while. they really mangled KDE >:-(. i am not sure why else switchdesk wouldn't work..

SunDevil

It was a clean install RH8

Fam does not seem to be running.

xinetd is running
    # /sbin/service xinetd status
    xinetd (pid 668) is running...

if i try to start it manually:
    # /usr/bin/fam
    Cannot register service: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused
    fam[1336]: can't register with portmapper.

So that is the problem, need to have portmapper running. After i started portmapper (/etc/init.d/portmap start) the errors were gone.

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil
    So that is the problem, need to have portmapper running. After i started portmapper (/etc/init.d/portmap start) the errors were gone.
    Yep, fam requires portmap to be running.

You could have also used: service portmap start

Jim H

KenHan

I've used rh 8 for a while now, and I do think it is a very nice
    distribution, and I do like the bluecurve theme (although I am not really sure just how much changes they have made to kde/gnome to use it)

The fonts are very nice rendered, and using that mozilla version makes browsing look very good. Seems like the kde can freeze up sometimes,
    but I do think that is the nvidia drivers. My only fear is that RH will modify things to a degree where it gets very difficult to download and install KDE, beings that they prefers gnome, I like them both but being a newbie in the linux world, I find my way around very easy in kde, so for now thats my desktop choice.

The update agent makes it very convenient to be announced about upgrades and such, even though it doesn't always work the way it was ment to be.. (most of the time I have to manually execute up2date) which certainly is no big deal

Bluecurve makes me desorinted sometimes with too many menus with the same name, but that is a "geting used to" issue I think. Personally I would like them to use /opt more, cause I like to get a cleareer overview where stuff resides in my filesystem ..(they tend to put alot in /usr..) maybe that is a better choice, but still I am a control freak when it comes to my directory structure.

Overall it is a very good looking system, I just hope they don't customize things to a degree where learning red hat is different from learning linux in all. Personally I like it much better than any M$ system I've used, it is fast fun and free. I bought the boxed version cause I like to throw a couple of bucs their way, the printed manual that was in the box wasn't anything to get excited about (I also bought suse8.1 pro ..and they provided a shitload of stuff and 800 pages worth of manuals) but the system runs very smooth
    and now I have a problem trying to decide wether to use rh/suse or :
    continue to run them both ..

Not an expert review but a personal one

have a nice day

//KenHan

chadm1967

I downloaded 8.0 the day it was released and used it for a couple of weeks. I liked it so much that I headed off to CompUSA and purchased it. It was on sale for $29 US. I've always been happy with Red Hat and even though I have cable and can download ISO's, I think it's worth paying for.

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by chadm1967
    I think it's worth paying for.
    Buying the distribution you use is the way to support the Linux vendor of your choice. ;D I takes a lot of money to release a linux distribution. Buying a "boxed set" is a good way to insure that the distribution you like will still be around in the future. ;D

Jim H