Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on 8.0

mugs

Re:Thoughts on 8.0

Great screen shots, Jim! What is the "secret" to having such awesome looking fonts? Is it RH 8.0 or something else?

shaun680

The graphical install didnt run. . Ah well installed it fine in text mode and its looking good ;D. No internet or sound though :'(

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by mugs
    Great screen shots, Jim! What is the "secret" to having such awesome looking fonts? Is it RH 8.0 or something else?
    Yes, it is an 8.0 thing. ;D

You could get quality fonts before, but 8.0 improves on it a lot.

Jim H

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by shaun680
    The graphical install didnt run. . Ah well installed it fine in text mode and its looking good ;D. No internet or sound though :'(
    Start a new thread on the problems.

Jim H

Bogler

I must admit

my initial impression was, Oh God.. i would like to go back to 7.3. I will give it time though. I just didn't like the "feel" of it.

1. My shell icon disapeared from the kde taskbar (the icon with the shell and black terminal) how do i get it back?
    2. It moved the shortcut to my crossover office installation (took me 1/2 hour to find it)
    3. The oss drivers don't work with the kernel for my AC97 (piece of shit) on board sound.
    4. I have a linuxlogo opening up when i login, this was real messed up in a terminal window, all disjointed, didn't fill me with optimism.
    5. I am sure (though i haven't tried) that both Mozilla and Konq will crash rendering X useless as this happened with 7.3
    6. I tried switchdesk gnome as root and when i restarted X i still got kde?
    7. I was/am beginning to panic

The above all took place withing about an hour of running RH8.0, as i say i will give it some time (i have no choice) and may get used to it but i am a tad disapointed with it to be honest.

Bogler

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by Bogler
    1. My shell icon disapeared from the kde taskbar (the icon with the shell and black terminal) how do i get it back?
    I don't use KDE. Can't answer this.

2. It moved the shortcut to my crossover office installation (took me 1/2 hour to find it)
    Third party software not provided by Red Hat. It would be impossible for any distribution to account for everything someone might have installed when doing an upgrade.

3. The oss drivers don't work with the kernel for my AC97 (piece of shit) on board sound.
    Not Red Hat specific. The OSS drivers for AC97 have never been any good. Alsa is currently the only option

4. I have a linuxlogo opening up when i login, this was real messed up in a terminal window, all disjointed, didn't fill me with optimism.
    Non-default custom logo? Again, something that would be practically impossible to account for.

5. I am sure (though i haven't tried) that both Mozilla and Konq will crash rendering X useless as this happened with 7.3
    Mozilla works perfect for me. Don't know about Konq. Might be an upgrade issue.

6. I tried switchdesk gnome as root and when i restarted X i still got kde?
    Do you mean you still got the KDM for a GUI login screen?

Jim H

SunDevil

As someone who is used to windows, RH8 came as quite a shock. Installing went pretty smooth, though it's too bad i burned CD 4&5 without knowing i didnt need em.

My main problem was getting on the internet. It took me 3 days to find out that the aw so great BIOS setting 'plug and play OS' was taking care of disabling my ethernet card.

Also i couldnt get any sound, so at the second (or third) install i tagged 'sndconfig' as a package and luckily it pointed me to the bios as beeing the mother of all bitches. When i took care of the Bios my ethernet and soundcard were detected fine during setup (yes i install a lot seeing i had no clue how to anything in linux,..then)

With internet at my side i was able to install my true type window fonts, because boy does linux suck at fonts and displaying websites!

Next day i tackeld the NTFS barrier so i was able to read from my NTFS partitions.

Im guessing most of the above has nothing to do with RH8, but is linux as seen by a newbie in general. I have to say. Beeing used to just pop in a CD, letting it run and having a fully working machine, linux is a nightmare. It took me a week to get all hardware properly running and i still get a bunch of 'FAM' errors in the background that i am ignoring.

On the other side, when its running,..its running and it keeps running.

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil
    With internet at my side i was able to install my true type window fonts, because boy does linux suck at fonts and displaying websites!
    Check the thread "Script to add truetype web fonts". This adds several fonts to make websites look better.

Part of the problem is that a lot of website designers design for IE and windows only. i.e. they use windows only fonts. :P

Hopefully by the next release Mozilla with XFT2 support will be stable. <drooooool> ;D

i still get a bunch of 'FAM' errors in the background that i am ignoring.
    What are the errors? I have seen a couple reports of some users getting fam errors. I think there is a workaround, but I need to see the error.

Jim H

SunDevil

I copied all my windows fonts. Well,..copied,...i had no NTFS capabilities, so booted windows, uploaded all .ttf's booted linux and downloaded em. And got em working. Even Linux sites use windows fonts, there's just no replacement for good ol' verdana.

I'll post the FAM errors when i get home, i think there were assertion errors though. I see a lot of assertion errors in linux, arent you supposed to assertion errors just when running a program in 'debug-mode'? What is FAM anyway?

SunDevil

Just an endless list of:
    FAMOpen failed, FAMErrno = 0