Thread: New kernel (up2date) X problems

New kernel (up2date) X problems

ok I just ran up2date to get a new kernel - I just chose the kernel from the list and it chose a few dependicies. Downloaded them then installed them. Checked lilo.conf saw it had made the old kernel linux.bak - ok i thourght safe to reboot.

Chose the new kernel to install but x wouldnt start? Thank god for the linux.bak.
    Any ideas? nvidia drivers maybe?
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

Re:New kernel (up2date) X problems

yep, new kernel means you need to reinstall the nvidia drivers.
    because you no longer have the stock kernel that came with the distro you will need to download the tar.gz files

Alastair
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

OK i went in initt 3 mode and uninstalled the drivers then reinstalled the 1's I had.
    It said something about unable to find mod probe or something when i installed the kernel rpm and something about maybe a conflicting MESA somethin (lol) when i installed the GLX rpm.

Still didnt work - what are these tar.gz files you are talking about?
    Is it the source for the drivers off the Nvidia site? Cant i use the rpms anymore??

ta alastair
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

you will have to d/l the source files
    the rpms were compiled for the default rh kernel, not the one you downloaded

Ah to hell with it! This new kernel stuff is not 4 me. So how can i get my system back the way it was? Like get rid of the new kernel? and change my lilo.conf back to normal. I guess i can just erase the addition entry in lilo.conf and change linux.bak to linux. But what about the new kernel? Im just gonna do a rpm -e kernel-2.4.18-10

Is this right? - ive done it anyway but will it stuff anything up that i dont know about?

ta tho

Guess ill wait till i learn a lil bit more about it all or for a new official release.

Spot

Quote Originally Posted by friskydrifter
    Ah to hell with it! This new kernel stuff is not 4 me. So how can i get my system back the way it was? Like get rid of the new kernel? and change my lilo.conf back to normal. I guess i can just erase the addition entry in lilo.conf and change linux.bak to linux. But what about the new kernel? Im just gonna do a rpm -e kernel-2.4.18-10
    You can simply choose to boot the linux.bak option at the lilo prompt, or make that the default in lilo.conf (don't forget to re-run lilo after making changes!).

A kernel upgrade isn't totally necessary unless you need new module support that comes with the new kernel or to cover various security issues it might fix, see http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2002-158.html for this new kernel's particulars.

If indeed, you opt to go with a new kernel, you're going to have to reinstall nvidiot proprietary modules every time a kernel is upgraded. Nvidiot only releases rpm's of base kernels (aka *only* the kernel that originally comes with the distro). If you have a different kernel, you'll need to use either a src.rpm or a tarball to build the module(s) for the new kernel.

Welcome to the world of closed-minded hardware manufacturers that are in the back pocket of MS. Be sure and thank them graciously for what they're doing with your hard earned cash.

Yea to hell with everything lol - i sent a email to nvidiot to tell them they are doing a good service with having RPM's but they are lame for updating windows drivers continually but not linux drivers. Bastards lol. GO THE PENGUIN!

hey also not really for this post but - Blender3d - mate! what a joy to come to GPL YESSSS i luv tha shit

HAHAHA Id also like to say. NVIDIOT hahah pmsl lmao and lol

u come up wih some of the best lol i've been in tears because of the word nvidiot lol, maybe im gettn tired and maybe ill remove this later but if u read it - hahahaha nvidiot indeed lol hahaha p-msl hooooo hhaaaaa - i gotta sober up!

lol :P :P