Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

mounting a user accesible partition
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mounting a user accesible partition

mounting a user accesible partition

i have a partition which i store all my media files on in vfat, im using debian sarge, and on my previous install the user could view this partition but not edit it, however this install the user cannot even see it, only root can see and use the partition, and i dont want to be in root constantly, heres what my fstab entry looks like for it

/dev/sda4 /MEDIA vfat defaults 0 0

that didnt work the user couldnt view it so i tried this

/dev/sda4 /MEDIA vfat rw,user,auto 0 0

didnt work either the user cant view the partition at all what commands do i have to pass to use this partition, i wouldnt like to erase and rewrite the partition but if i need to i will, by the way the drive probaly doesnt matter is a 160GB sata western digital hard drive, the partition is 120GB at the end and is a primary

thanks in advance

Are you sure that it isn't an NTFS partition. I did that once and it took me forever to figure out why I couldn't write to it. Sorry I don't have more ideas..
    jro -
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Associate

Re: mounting a user accesible partition

maybe you can try:

dev/sda4 /MEDIA vfat -o rw,users,auto 0 0

Note the "s".

man mount.

im sure it vfat, or more specifically fat32, i put windows system files in ntfs, and everything else in fat32, ill try that line see if it works

just curious whats that -o for?

it stands for options

Options: read write, users auto

tried that and nothing, i realized maybe its the kerenl, because before i was running sid 2.6.10-686 and now im running sarge 2.6.8-2-686, but that didnt seem to work out

umask=0222 should work fine, too.

ive never used that command where do i put it in, in fstab or a command line

#umask=0222 /dev/sda4

im sorry just new to this sort of thing

What keeps that windows partition on your hard drive?
    Games or a program?

If yes then what?
    Wenn Sie Spaß meines Englisch mich Willensfuckingtötung Sie bilden.

In fstab, you just put it in as umask=0222, if you use mount, you need to do
    mount -t fat32 -o umask=0222 /dev/hdX /mnt/diskX
    or similar.