Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet

mugs

Internet

All of a sudden, when I start Linux, I have no internet connection. If I then restart, it is fine. I have a router with DSL, and I never had to configure anything at all to be connected. Please help! Thanks.

mugs

Re:Internet

More info on this. This morning, I could not connect to the internet at all, no matter how many times i rebooted. So, I went into the control center (suse 8.0) and tried to set up a dsl connection to see if that worked. It didnt. Then I went into start/stop services and saw that inetd was turned off. So, I turned that on and I can now connect. However, I am now trying to turn off or disable this dsl0 connection and I cant seem to be able to . Now, when the computer is booting up, I see that it says that eth0 failed and dsl0 was skipped. I am connected as soon as I start up, but I want to get rid of the dsl connection (the kinternet icon is now green). So, how can I disable that dsl0 connection and get the eth0 to not fail on start up. I just want it back the way I had it . Thanks.

mugs

Now, I turned inetd back to where it was, where it doesnt start up automatically, and I rebooted. i am still connected when i start up, but I am still seeing the eth0 (dhcp) failing and the dsl0(which I want to get rid of) being skipped.

mugs

Sorry, just wanted to make something clear. I use a router, so I never had to configure anything for the internet from when I first installed Suse. It just worked right out of the box. That is why I dont want or need that dsl0 connection.

JimH

It sounds to me like the problem is your router and not your Linux box.

Jim H

mugs

Nah, it works fine in Windows and now seems to be working ok in Linux again. What files control this dsl connection I made and the eth0, since I want to get rid of the dsl connection and stop the eth0 failed message?

mugs

Ok, I made some progress. I found where the dsl0 connection config file was and removed the settings. I am still getting, on start up, the kInternet icon coming up with a red "i" on it. When I click on it, it says I wont have any internet connection because there is something wrong with smppd. However, the interent is fine, so I will continue to work on it.

mugs

Latest info is this: I started Suse and it said that eth0 (dhcp)..no ip found yet, backgrounding. When it started up, I had no internet connection. So, I rebooted and this time it said it failed, yet I do have? If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Obvious question: Are you 100% sure that all your cables are tightly connected, and that you modem is working properly?
    Nothing should change on linux from boot to reboot. When it initializes eth0, does it succeed?

Babbing

mugs

Yes I am 100% sure, as it works fine in Winblows, each time I start. As far as initialzing, when it says it failed, it works, when it says backgrounding, it doesnt work. Either way, KInternet says no SMPPPD and the internet wont work, even when it does. Thanks!