Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Suse 8.1

Thread: Suse 8.1

mugs

Suse 8.1

An upgrade to Suse is coming out next month, I here, Suse 8.1. I have 8.0 and I am wondering if I should consider it? One of the things that appealed to me is that it said it supports more hardware, including USB 2.0 devices. I have a Canon Scanner that wont work in Suse, but I really wish it did.

I have also been thinking about trying a different distro. Will 8.1 be downloadable? I really dont feel like spending the money again, as I just purchased it in May.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

johnqpublic

Re:Suse 8.1

SuSE does not offer ISO images like other Distributions.In the past they have offered an evaluation CD that runs off the CD only but who the hell wants that! I'm a SuSE fan and will shell out the cash for 8.1 upon release.I understand you not wanting to pay for a new Distro so soon.

PS. My scanner will not work either.(HP 5470c) Scanner support in Linux kinda sucks in my opinion.

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by johnqpublic
    PS. My scanner will not work either.(HP 5470c) Scanner support in Linux kinda sucks in my opinion.
    My HP 4470c does not work either. :'( But someone has started to work on support I should e-mail him and see if I can help. ;D

I looked at the sane mailing list, I found this from last month. It looks like someone has at least looked at yours, but it doesn't appear they have started working on a driver yet.

http://www.mostang.com/pipermail/san...st/003801.html

Jim H

Spot

Quote Originally Posted by johnqpublic
    God forbid you have a canon =/

mugs

The Canon scanner I have is excellent. I got it after the piece of crap HP failed to work correctly in Windows XP. I just wish it would work in Linux.

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by mugs
    I got it after the piece of crap HP failed to work correctly in Windows XP.
    Interesting, I wasn't aware that if a hardware device doesn't work in WinXP that it automatically made it a "piece of crap". ???

Jim H

mugs

No, that doesnt automatically make it a piece of crap, what makes it a piece of crap is that it is HP and they have lousy support and sometimes lousy products. I found this out by going to the HP forums after I realized that HP offered no support. Most of the posts were people complaining about the terrible "support". I bought the Canon, because it had some features I wanted and it worked fine.

johnqpublic

Hmmmmmm.HP printers & scanners are the only brands I use and have worked great for me.

mugs

Well, I am really talking about support. But, I have seen many problems with HP, even though I have several printers a scanner and a digital camera, but I will never buy another HP product. That is my opinion, and if you check out the HP forums, you will see how many others are disatisfied.