Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RH 7.2 and WinXP

TheGoodRev

RH 7.2 and WinXP

??? Oh boy do I need help.

Ok I have an AMD Athalon 900Mhz. I have installed WinXP first. I have a C: drive that is 7gig and a D: drive that is 7gig (both NTFS). I left 15 Gig unused anticipating my install of Linux.

Ok, so I am using RH 7.2, I picked the "Leave Partitions alone and use unused space". So RH formated my mount/swap and linux native partitions all on hda3, hda4 and hda5. Okee dokee.

I picked Grub because its what all the kids are talking about on the streets. Actually I picked Grub because I have only seen Lilo and wanted to see this Grub. Well I didn't pick the MBR I told Grub to put it on the first something or other on the HD...I don't remember how it was worded, but I did NOT pick the MBR (because it said if you have WinNT not to do this). So I didn't want to treat WinXP as I would Win95/98...anyway....I don't know what I am talking about.

Ok like an idiot I didn't create a boot disk (because I don't have a floppy in this machine)...

finally here is my question:

HOW can I get some boot-loader action? When I power the machine on it goes straight into WinXP. I have not even seen my beautiful RH 7.2 install yet.

:-(

help please.

--TheRev

tanmay_79

Re:RH 7.2 and WinXP

Hi,
    even i have the same config as urs and even i did not put GRUB in mbr , as it should be in the boot partition of LInux and u have done the same thing. I also did not vreate the boot disk.................

so how the hell do u boot linux..........

well i USE POWERQUEST BOOTMAGIC ..............
    its one of the easiest bootloaders , just install bootmagic in windows, add ur linx partition, activate bootmagic and voila u go................

next boot u have ur options waiting to be selected.........
    selecting linux will take u to grub where u can select linux or again return to windows...........

bye...........

huginn

TheGoodRev

;D I found OSL2000 which you install from Windows, double click it flashes on the screen and viola...a boot loader, you reboot the machine it pops up an ugly red/black BIOS looking box, it lists all of your partions, you pick one, hit enter and on it boots....pick Linux, I see Grub (VERY nice looking) then I pick Linux again (other choice is WinXP). Boots great. It is a pain in the arse having 2 boot loaders but at least I can finally boot my freaking RH 7.2.

Thanks for the help....

I installed redhat and XP with the boot loader on the MBR,
    i think it will be the only way to have just one loader, the other option is to set the grub timeout to something like 1 milisecond
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by alastair
    I installed redhat and XP with the boot loader on the MBR,
    i think it will be the only way to have just one loader, the other option is to set the grub timeout to something like 1 milisecond
    Yep, Grub should be able to dual boot WinXP just fine.

Jim H

dubster

I have a different problem, but kinda similar !!!
    Had XP installed on C, installed RH8 onto D (formatted D from RH installer) and all went on brilliantly, it installed this GRUB Loader thing so I could choose what to boot into.
    THEN THINGS WENT STRANGE !!!!

Boots up, I get GRUB with just one choice: LINUX !!
    For the life of me I can't get into Windows, otherwise I'd go with that OSL2000 that GoodRev spoke of earlier..

I really need to get back onto that XP install, PLEASE HELP! :'(

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by dubster
    Boots up, I get GRUB with just one choice: LINUX !!
    Hmm, I don't see a problem there. ;D

I really need to get back onto that XP install, PLEASE HELP! :'(
    Are you really sure you want to do that? :P

I need to see your /etc/grub.conf and what knid of hardware is this? ie. motherboard, chipset, etc....

Jim H

dubster

You'll be glad to know I sorted it myself, after lots of playing & messin about with the "grub.conf" file (after backing it up, of course!)

Basically it had just one bit:
    title red hat
    root (hd1,0)
    blah blah blah

So I added:
    title XP Pro
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

The chainloader & noverify bits came from other sources, and seemed to do the trick. Now it works perfectly, so I can leave XP crunching SETI units when I'm not here, and reboot into Linux when I've got time to play!

THANKYOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS & IDEAS, by the way JimH.

JimH

Perfect thats exactly what you needed to add. ;D

You get an A+ for figuring that out. ;D ;D

Jim H