Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kernel\driver help please

kernel\driver help please

well i was using mandrake linux (for like 2 weeks), then i read in a magazine that slackware was really good so i decided, hey lets throw out this crummy rpm package system and way too userfriendlyness and go with something proper, so slack 8.1 goes into my machine, then i think to myself, hey learning is fun, i might as well try to compile a kernel, well all is well and its superfast and its awesome, only thing is i get a mount error that says my "warning: not a valid block device", can anyone help me fix this, i have checked my fstab and it looks good and my lilo.conf and it looks good, any suggestions?
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+<br />DFI NFII Ultra Infinity(gigabyte sucks)<br />OCZ 2 x 512 PC3200<br />ATI Radeon AIW 9600 PRO<br />16x DVD-Rom (not in use)<br />LG 8x DVD-Burner<br />LG 40x12x40 CD-RW<br />WD 120GB<br />420W PSU<br />Tweaked out case<br />:)

Re:kernel\driver help please

also if i could get some support for my wheelmouse and soundcard that would be great
    since i installed slack i got a sound error saying it couldnt find /dev/dsp although it is there.
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+<br />DFI NFII Ultra Infinity(gigabyte sucks)<br />OCZ 2 x 512 PC3200<br />ATI Radeon AIW 9600 PRO<br />16x DVD-Rom (not in use)<br />LG 8x DVD-Burner<br />LG 40x12x40 CD-RW<br />WD 120GB<br />420W PSU<br />Tweaked out case<br />:)

johnqpublic

Hello,
    If I may ask what soundcard are ya using as you will likely need to edit /rc.local to get sound up and running. 8)

creative labs, soundblaster live!, the sound driver is emu10k1, i have made it compile into the kernel and it didnt work, but then again i may have done something wrong somewhere, in fact i know i did because after i compile a kernel i cant mount anything

Aaron_Adams

Re:kerneldriver help please

Hey sujoki,

I'm not around much, so if you reply to this, I might not get back to you for awhile.

First off, the default Slackware environment contains root-only read/write access to /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer. This results in regular users not being able to access the sound devices. (Obviously)

The solution for this is simple:
    # chmod 666 /dev/dsp /dev/mixer

Also, you can verify whether or not emu10k1 has been properly inserted by running /sbin/lsmod. If it hasn't, your /etc/rc.d/rc.modules file will likely still have the insmod instruction commented. A quick modification of this will allow for emu10k1 to be inserted on startup. To avoid rebooting, and insert it during your current session, running '/sbin/modprobe emu10k1' should insert it.

The problem with your wheel mouse is likely just an absence of the ZAxisMapping option in /etc/X11/Xf86Config. You can modify it as root, find the definition for your mouse device, and beneath the last option add:

Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

The definitions should now look something like this:

# Identifier and driver

Identifier "Mouse1"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
    Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"

For this change to take effect, you'll will have to restart your X session.

Addressing your initial problem is a little harder, namely because I don't know exactly what you are trying to mount, and when you get the error. I'm assuming the kernel loads fine and you are able to login? Is there an extra device that you are trying to mount? Does it specify what file the command is run from?

With a bit more information, one of us can likely pinpoint the problem.

I hope my suggestions fix up some of your problems.

Let us know how it goes.

Aaron

your help was great Aaron, although my wheelmouse still isnt working properly it doesnt bother me alot, it was the sound mostly that bothered me, because i am an MP3 person and i love my music, i have my stereo hooked up to my PC because PC speakers just dont cut it.

its just when i compile my kernel, it doesnt see any of my drivers properly, and i dont know how to set them properly, if you guys could just write up a nice little quicky for getting all the drivers set that would be great, specifically my burner, cuz i love my burner, i am also thinking of trying a third stage gentoo install and seeing if i can get that working properly, and if i can i will use up some time getting the first stage done.

ok i think i know how although i have no tried it yet, i would do a modprobe *driver name* and i can find the mods in the kernel source part i believe it is /usr/src/linux/kernel/drivers/ although no entirely positive i know its there somewhere, but i am at school so i cant check atm.

new news, it didnt work, when i reloaded my sound didnt cut in all nicely, i edited the rc.modules because i though i that it was because the file told it to probe multiple mods but i still got the error, only thing i know i can do atm if modprobe emu10k1 every time i reboot
    :-\ >

ok i think i found it, i was poking around slackware.com and i happened to look in the config and init stuff, well my rc.modprobe is NOT in my /etc/inittab file, so of course its not gonna load them at startup

added that and no worky, i dont know if i did it correctly though, i just added #/etc/rc.d/rc.modules into the script and it didnt load sound =C