Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Basic Networking

Thread: Basic Networking

mugs

Basic Networking

This is my first foray into networking with Linux. I opened up LinNeighborhood and then turned on my WinXP laptop. I am able to see the laptop from LinNeighborhood and mount the shares.

I really dont understand much about Samba, though, which I assume is what LinNeighborhood is running on top of. First off, I wanted to upgrade to the latest version, but I cant get past these dependencies:

<ome/mugs/Desktop/samba-client-2.2.6-0.i386.rpm;echo RESULT=$?
    error: failed dependencies:
    libacl.so.1 is needed by samba-client-2.2.6-0
    libattr.so.1 is needed by samba-client-2.2.6-0
    samba-client = 2.2.3a is needed by samba-2.2.3a-64
    RESULT=1

Do I have to manually start Samba? is there any configuration I need to do? How do I access the Linux machine from Windows and how do I access one Linux box from another? In windows I understand how to name the machines and everything, but I dont understand what to look for from the Windows box when I am looking for the linux box.

Lots of questions, any help or answers or pointers to good sources would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Few minutes later:

I think I got Samba upgraded, but not 100% sure. Where can I check the version? Assuming, I have, I still have the other questions, and I am going to take a break and spend some time with the wife.

Thanks!

Re:Basic Networking

samba -v should give version
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

mugs

thanks, but I keep just getting "command not found"
    ???

that'll be because the samba executable isn't in the path. run the full path, something like /usr/local/bin/samba -v

'locate samba' should give you the location
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

mugs

Thanks, I am still trying. I had been in the direcotry when trying it before. I did a locate samba and there are many many places.

Where can I find some info on accessing Linux from Windows. I have tried it but cant see the Linux box from XP....

Thanks.

KenHan

I had similar problems getting the concept right (and I still have) :
    but I found it easier to use webmin to configure my server for using samba and shares and such ... and now it works just fine

//KenHan

mugs

Thanks Kenhan! I downloaded it and it is very powerful. I have to figure out wha t is wrong with my dhcpd settings now!