Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Best Distro with Kernel 2.4

The Best Distro with Kernel 2.4

My Athlon 1.4 machine has to run on an up-to-date, current distribution. It won't see my network card on Debian for instance, but Mandrake 8.2 and Libranet 2.0 finds everything flawlessly. The problem is, I don't want all the bloatware.

Gentoo's instructions suck as far as I'm concerned. I couldn't get passed #32 or 33 before becoming stuck. I really don't want to hand build a system. That's just a pain.

I really like Debian, but as I said it REFUSES to talk to my network card even when I try loading the correct drivers.

What are my options?

Re:The Best Distro with Kernel 2.4

i like redhat 7.2 or redhat 7.2 if it is not gonna be debian.

Associate

IMHO as far as a distibution that runs 2.4 kernel you can't go wrong with slackware.

Its the best hands down as far as I'm concerned YMMV

Too late. I've already wiped Windows 2000 out of existence and replaced it with Manie.

I really need to do other things than game.

i can understand he's having a problem with finding a decent distro. distro's have gotten so bad it's gotten to the point where i don't even recommend linux to windows users anymore simply because i can't find a single distro that's good enough to recommend to people. OK, i've heard great things about Suse but the fact that u have to buy it kinda defeats the argument of "hey windows user, linux is free, just download it and install it". Of all the freely downloadable distro's there simply isn't one i can recommend to people. I've also heard some good things about Lycoris from lovechild but it doesn't even have a compiler AFAIK which is basically a big no-no IMO

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=7;threadid=4582;start=0#45911 date=1029497750]
    Of all the freely downloadable distro's there simply isn't one i can recommend to people. I've also heard some good things about Lycoris from lovechild but it doesn't even have a compiler AFAIK which is basically a big no-no IMO
    [/quote]

True, but there are a few distros that you can get free and they will work for a beginner - Redhat, Mandrake, and Slackware ... and all of them have a compiler .. I just don't like this look like windows , works like windows distros where suse is one of them ..

[quote author=ch-b link=board=7;threadid=4582;start=0#45914 date=1029498132]
    True, but there are a few distros that you can get free and they will work for a beginner - Redhat, Mandrake, and Slackware ... and all of them have a compiler .. I just don't like this look like windows , works like windows distros where suse is one of them ..
    [/quote]

well redhat sux monkey balls, mandrake is linux in slow motion and slackware isn't what i'd recommend to a newbie (even though Slackware is the only distro i like)

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=7;threadid=4582;start=0#45923 date=1029500578]
    well redhat sux monkey balls, mandrake is linux in slow motion and slackware isn't what i'd recommend to a newbie (even though Slackware is the only distro i like)
    [/quote]

About a year or so ago, I would have agreed with you. But, now that I have tasted the sweet nectar known as Slackware, I must admit it being difficult to install/use is more false than true. Sure, it doesn't have a nice gui installer, but, if you give someone some really basic info, they can partition the hdd with cfdisk, install it, and go. Sure, they have to run xf86config, but it teaches them something. It's not hard, really, it's just different.

Just my two euros.

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=7;threadid=4582;start=0#45931 date=1029505952]
    [quote author=Ralinx link=board=7;threadid=4582;start=0#45923 date=1029500578]
    [/quote]

About a year or so ago, I would have agreed with you. But, now that I have tasted the sweet nectar known as Slackware, I must admit it being difficult to install/use is more false than true. Sure, it doesn't have a nice gui installer, but, if you give someone some really basic info, they can partition the hdd with cfdisk, install it, and go. Sure, they have to run xf86config, but it teaches them something. It's not hard, really, it's just different.

Just my two euros.
    [/quote]

I'll do Slack tonight after getting my proper monitor settings.

[quote author=Tully link=board=7;threadid=4582;start=0#45870 date=1029459454]
    IMHO as far as a distibution that runs 2.4 kernel you can't go wrong with slackware.

Its the best hands down as far as I'm concerned YMMV
    [/quote]

BTW- does slack have built in ip tables?