Thread: Help installing linux mp3 machine.

Halo 99

Help installing linux mp3 machine.

hay i am a expert user of windows and builing machines but when i comes to linux i know nothing really. i have found that GREAT setup for an mp3 machine that runs on linux but i don't know how to do a few things.
    1. i haven't set up linux before and am a bit lost with it.
    2. once installed i want to have no gui on just text for faster loading (i asked a friend that said this will work)
    3. i need help installing the software to the linux machine. (it uses perl and mySQL)

here is the site with all the information
    http://www.giantdisc.com

i have been advised to use red hat 6 because 7 is too new and it is being installed on an old machine.
    thanks.

Re:Help installing linux mp3 machine.

Is there something in specific that we can help with?

for a text prompt, you will want to run at runlevel 3.
    at the command line, type su(to logon as the superuser) and enter the root passwd. then type /sbin/init 3

generally there are a few common ways that devs package software. As an rpm, or a tarball.

you can find more on there installation here.
    http://www.getlinuxonline.com/omp/distro/RedHat/rpm.htm

a tarball is a bit different, but it is a personal choice. i know there was an omp around here somewhere for those. maybe you wouldn't mind finding it for me since i have to go to class :P

Goodluck,

Babbing

Halo 99

well that kind of made sence. i know how to install the program kind of.
    well here.
    first problem
    1.i need a copy of red hat 6.2 (i have ADSL so i can download it quite quick)

and 2. i need to know how to install linux with out gui so i just boots up into text mode. (is their a way that i can install the gui and install the programs i need via the gui and then uninstalling it and just running in text based mode from then on.)
    thanks

a copy of rh 6.2 can be dug up at www.redhat.com . jsut look for the iso's

well, anything you install anyways, as far as i am concerned should be done at the prompt anyways. So, i would say just make an installation of 6.2 with out X, and just install from the prompt. Another thing that you could do is just install X, since it would probably be useful to you, and then just run at the prompt the whole time. Make a decision on what you want to do with this ans we can go from there :P

Goodluck,

Babbing

a copy of rh 6.2 can be dug up at www.redhat.com . jsut look for the iso's

well, anything you install anyways, as far as i am concerned should be done at the prompt anyways. So, i would say just make an installation of 6.2 with out X, and just install from the prompt. Another thing that you could do is just install X, since it would probably be useful to you, and then just run at the prompt the whole time. Make a decision on what you want to do with this ans we can go from there :P

Goodluck,

Babbing

Reh Hat 7.3 is running on my Pentiium 100 - stable so far! Whats the old computer u are using?

Dont know about red hat 6.2 but in 7.2 and 7.3 (the only 1's iv'e used) you can make the computer boot into the command prompt by editing the /etc/inittab and changing the default runlevel to 3 instead of 5. Then if you want to start the GUI type startx.
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P