Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Open Office for users

Thread: Open Office for users

Open Office for users

Well ive been havin fun downloading open office 1.1 and it instaled sucessfuly. I must say the installatin screens were a step in the right direction. Anyway I did this as root and i want to know how the users can start Open office. I hope i dont have to install it for every user?

Read the documentation that came with OO and it sait for mulit users to copy the OpenOffice.org-1.01/programs folder into the path then soffice can be run from anywhere.

well i took this as copying OpenOffice.org-1.01/programs into /usr/bin/

This didn't work

I also tried OpenOffice.org-1.01 into usr/bin this didn't work either.

Athe the moment it is instaled into /root/OpenOffice.org-1.01.

Kthanks Frisky
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

Re:Open Office for users

check and see if OO made a group when it installed. if it did, you should be able to add users to the group, so they can use OO.:P

Babbing

as root, run the setup program with the -net switch, eg ./setup -net
    then install it somewhere like /usr/local/OpenOffice.org-1.01
    when it done, run the install file in the /usr/local dir as a normal user and choose the small install. Its about 3 megs

Alastair

P.S This is the 1000th post in Software. Congrats GLO'ers
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

Well i did it a lil differently but ill explain what happened.

As root
    1. downloaded Open Office

2. Created a Directory /user/local/OpenOffice.

3. Extracted the tar zip file into the OpenOffice Directory.

4. Went into /user/local/OpenOffice/install and ran setup

5. during the install i directed itl into a folder i created - /user/local/OpenOffice/BloodyHell Picked the complete install to get everything.

6. From the KDE Desktop i right clicked the screen and - Create New/Link to an Application/Execute/Browse and then navigated to /user/local/OpenOffice/BloodyHell/program/soffice.

7. clicked the desktop icon i just created and Open Office started.

8. Logged out of root and in as a user.

9. Made the same desktop icon as step 6

10. Copied the file /root/.sversionrc to /home/user/

then the users desktop icon worked
    I dunno maybe im doin it the hard way but whatever works. And i dont have to do the setup everytime for a new user - just create the desktop icon and copy that damn .sversionrc to their home dir.

Babbibg i checked /etc/passwd and /etc/group but couldnt c an entry from OO.
    Alistair followed what u said but couldnt run it with differrent users and i wanted to install the lot.

Anyways cheers - theres prolly a more streamlined way to achieve the same results but im happy now

;D
    Its better to regret something you have done than to regret something you havent done :P

sweet, have a good time